impossible to set up the brightness on 2.0.8

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
lucky luke
Private First Class
Private First Class

impossible to set up the brightness on 2.0.8

Post by lucky luke »

Hi!

I cant set up the brightness on Ubuntu Linux. I reinstalled the whole system, afterwards bzflag didnt work anymore. The problem is it worked before, but now i see a black screen, i can read what is written, but it is way to dark to play... and its impossible to change the brightness. I use a Nvidia GeForce 4, bzflag 2.0.8 installed via synaptic.

Thx for your help
lucky luke
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Not exactly your issue but it had to do with sound and installing BZFlag with synaptic.

http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?t=9088

Basically, it came down to compling from the source code fixed the issue. I would also make sure that you have the latest video driver for the GeForce 4.
lucky luke
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by lucky luke »

hi!
I heard it has to do something with a bug in SDL, when um setting up the gamma on my system to about 7 it works with bzflag too, but in the game i cant change the brightness, wich is very hard, espescially while playing :)

luke
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

usually it's a bug in the drivers.

you may want to get the drivers directly from nvidia, as they are often newer then those in the package systems.
ImageJeffM
lucky luke
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by lucky luke »

i think the problem is this:

http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?t ... ight=gamma

allthough i dont understand what I ve to do

luke
Chestal
Dev Guru
Dev Guru

Post by Chestal »

There was a bug in the SDL library, someone 'optimized' the code in there too much :-) This bug was only in one specific verson and has been changed since. So you would need to get a different (newer) version of SDL. I am not sure how easy or difficult this is for your distribution, though. The Debian unstabe package has been workign again for months now, in case it is possible for you to install that on Ubuntu.