help! cant talk with listserver!

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
the_j0k3r
Private First Class
Private First Class

help! cant talk with listserver!

Post by the_j0k3r »

ok some people may have noticed ive been playing as the_j0k3r1 this past week. it is because when i go onto bzflag nothing comes up when i do "find server". also, i cannot login to servers globally (comes up with "-" instead of "+" next to my name). i cant get onto my.bzflag.org either (i am currently using secure-tunnel)(is the fact that i cant get onto my.bzflag.org where my problems have come from??).

other information is that this problem occurs for both computers on my network. does this make it the router? i dont think its my firewall, as i took it down, and it still didnt work. trouble is i dont know if its the router either, because my network appears completely unchanged.

if its any help, i am running spybot s&d, ad-aware, trend micro pc-illin internet security 2006 and registry cleaner. this only started happening recently.

oh, when i try to get onto my.bzflag.org, it says "waiting for site..." for ages, then goes to this page cannot be displayed....

when i ping it i get %100 loss....im not entirely sure what type my router is...its netgear if that helps at all :P

thanks in advance for your help...sorry if ive left any important information out :(

{edit} whoop...looks like i did miss some important information....im running windows xp sp2 ;)
Last edited by the_j0k3r on Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

yes it would be something on your side.
ImageJeffM
Sky King
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Sky King »

I'm a bit puzzled by your range of symptoms. my.bzflag.org does respond to ICMP ping requests, so if you can't ping the server and can't connect to it through a web browser, we probably have trouble on your end... Either with your PCs, your router, or your ISP.

When you ping my.bzflag.org, does it correctly resolve the address? Even if the pings timeout, you should still get:

Code: Select all

Pinging my.bzflag.org [66.111.56.50] with 32 bytes of data:
This eliminates DNS (the mechanism that resolves domain names into numeric IP addresses) as being part of the problem.

Also, can you see the logs for your internet security suite? I'm assuming that if the software thinks it's supposed to be blocking access to that IP address, it will make entries in a log file somewhere each time it has blocked access.

Finally, you may want to call your ISP. If they can ping my.bzflag.org from the user side of their router, then the problem isn't with them. In my case, I can get into most servers through my t-mobile cell account, but not boxy. I cannot get access to that IP address. Since I only use that account to run bzadmin, I haven't worried about it much, but it is annoying. But if I call t-mobile they will swear up and down that they don't block access to any IP addresses. They used to have a squabble with google and were blocking that address in some markets, and also never admitted it.

And a question for Jeff: Assuming jok3r just connects directly with bzfx.net, port 6026, and gets into Boxy... his CLIENT doesn't need to have access to bzflag.org, does it? I assumed that user verification was done by the SERVER he is connecting to, and not by the client.[/code]
dango
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dango »

The global verification is verified via the list server. when you find a ferver it gives you a verification code, when you log on to bzfx.net bzfx.net gets the verification code and logs you in. Something like that.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

Sky King
he must have access to our site. His client contacts the list server, and logs in ( even if you don't list the games ). The list server gives him a token if his username and password are valid. He then joins the game server, then gives that server his username and token (but NOT his password). The game server then contacts the list server and asks if the name and token are valid. If so, the user is golbaly registered. The token is only valid for a single use ( or 10 min )

This way the game server NEVER has your password.

so yes, if he's doing global login he has to be talking to this server ( forums and list are on the same machine ).

he's got something on his local system that is just blocking one specific URL, as he can get here ( he posted ) with no problem.
ImageJeffM
Sky King
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Sky King »

JeffM2501 wrote: he's got something on his local system that is just blocking one specific URL, as he can get here ( he posted ) with no problem.
Yes, but he used "secure tunnel", presumably an IP anonymizer site, to get here to post.

I did have him try to ping this server numerically the other day, and the ping failed.

So, I suspect that either:

-Bad static route in windows (unlikely)
-Internet security suite has this site blocked by numeric IP address
-Upstream router (ISP?) is blocking/denying a route to this server
the_j0k3r
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by the_j0k3r »

ok...so you mentioned the logs on my anti virus. that came up with nothing that i could see. i looked at spybot s&d and it had an option called "immunize" where it blocks access to websites. upon disabling this, i couldnt access internet explorer (i dont like that. i dont like being dependant on anti-spyware programs to access the internet). i tried it on firefox, and the site still didnt work. upon pinging it does say pinging my.bzflag.org [66.111.56.50] with 32 bytes of data, its just that the request times out 4 times.

ill call my isp when i am sure that there is no other help available in the forums, as they are incredibly difficult to deal with over the phone, i find myself with much more computer experience then them, and having to explain things to them as i go, and it is frustrating to be on hold for so long then get transferred.

before this happened my router became unplugged. the network appeared completely unchanged, so i am 90% sure thats not the problem, but is there anything that could have happened that i didnt know about? (i have checked routerlogin.net, and my network appears unchanged as i said before).

by the way thank you for the response, most of the forums i go to go for weeks without any replies.
the_j0k3r
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by the_j0k3r »

ok, well i had a suspicion that this problem would be incredible difficult to solve by figuring it out. but thats ok, because this is one of those problems that just fixes themselves after about 2 weeks. thats right, it fixed itself. its all fine, i get get onto the site and everything. yay :)

ty for all you responses anyway.
M4l4t3st4
Private
Private

Me too!

Post by M4l4t3st4 »

I had same problem for a week now, and still cannot retrieve servers list.

I can ping my.bzflag.org, and can play.

Any hint?
blast
General
General

Re: Me too!

Post by blast »

M4l4t3st4 wrote:I had same problem for a week now, and still cannot retrieve servers list.

I can ping my.bzflag.org, and can play.

Any hint?
Try to access this in your browser: http://my.bzflag.org/db/?action=LIST
If that works, then it's probably a firewall issue. Tell your firewall not to block BZFlag.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)