Hardware accerleration on Nvidia Riva TNT but...(read this!)

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
SuSELinuxlord
Private First Class
Private First Class

Hardware accerleration on Nvidia Riva TNT but...(read this!)

Post by SuSELinuxlord »

Hello,

In my older machine i have these specs:

Intel P3 500 MHZ Slot 1
256 MB Ram
Nvidia Riva TNT
Windows XP Pro/ dual boot/ SuSE Linux 9.3

I get hardware acceleration (OpenGL 1.5/DirectX 9.0c), and it confirms at BZ start-up that I have Nvidia TNT/AGP/SSE card installed, BUT here is the interesting thing: I could SWEAR that it runs slower with hardware acceleration enabled rather than disabled. Thats right SLOWER with hw accel enabled. What is the problem here??? (This is when Im trying to run it in XP (something wrong with suse 9.3... doesnt like oblisk))

PS. anybody know where i can get an RPM for bzflag 2.0.8 for suse 9.3 (if you cant find 9.3 but CAN find 10.0 i can easially upgrade this.)
Waistless
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Waistless »

well.. from what I know BZFlag uses OpenGL 2.0, and you're saying "Hardware acceleration for OpenGL 1.5". Either turning on hardware acceleration forces it to OpenGL 1.5 which makes it slower, or having it off makes it use software acceleration, which means it's using the processor fully instead of using the graphics card, which might be faster for certain machines. But it's most likely the first reason.
Could this tank perhaps go a little bit faster, so it's not being overtaken by stationary objects.
"Words in parentheses can (not) be ignored." -Unknown
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

Waistless
bzflag only needs OpenGL 1.1 to run, not 2.0. ( 2.0 is rather recent in the GL history, the specification was only ratified late in 2004 )

SuSELinuxlord
The TNT series to not accelerate all functions of GL. In fact it can and will be slower then software for some functions ( functions the card does not have hardware for ). The software driver may actually be better optimized for those features and be faster.

What you want to do is try different settings and see what works best for your card setup. That old card may not like some combinations of blending, and texturing. The best things to check would be depth buffer, blending, smoothing, and the texture filter.

You also may want to look into getting a card that isn't based on an 8 year old chip as well. A card that can accelerate the transform and lighting for 3D RELAY helps out bzflag ( GeForce or Radeon ).
ImageJeffM
Sky King
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Sky King »

JeffM2501 wrote:What you want to do is try different settings and see what works best for your card setup. That old card may not like some combinations of blending, and texturing. The best things to check would be depth buffer, blending, smoothing, and the texture filter.
One of my two computers has a TNT and the settings I use, that often gets me 25 frames per second at 1280x1024 at 32 bit:

Dithering: On
Blending: On
Smoothing: Off
Lighting: None, or Fast
Texturing: Linear Mipmap Nearest
Quality: High
Shadows: Off

Lighting and shadows use up a lot of power on the TNT... if you want shadows, definitely fo stencil and not stipple. Also, my TNT will not do mirrored grounds on maps that use them, I just get the grass texture on that card.