turn on UDP

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
titilasticot
Private
Private

turn on UDP

Post by titilasticot »

When i try to play with the server HEPCAT after a few seconds i'm disconected with this message: turn on UDP.
But how to turn on this UDP.
Thanks for your help
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

Do you have a router? If so, what is the make and model?

On my router you have to set a "trigger" for "applications" which includes the ports that you play on (5154 for most servers and 6026 for Boxy War, etc).
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com
anomaly
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by anomaly »

make sure the option 'udpnet in your bzflag config file is set to '1'. I think this will enable/disable UDP
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

anomaly wrote:make sure the option 'udpnet in your bzflag config file is set to '1'. I think this will enable/disable UDP
I believe all recent versions of BZFlag have UDP automatically enabled and isn't an option in the GUI anymore (thinking 2.0.6+, but don't quote me - but I know for sure it is like that in 2.0.8 ).

I find it's a router or firewall problem 90% of the time. :)
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

anomaly
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by anomaly »

You are correct Meteorite. Even though the 'udpnet' option still exists and is actually still written out to the config file, in bzflag.cxx about line 817

Code: Select all

startupInfo.useUDPconnection=true;
sets UDP on. There is no option to turn it off. In fact /localset udpnet 0 has no effect. Even after a restart.

I've never had a router block a UDP | TCP connection like this, but I suppose it can happen. Only time I have to port forward is when I run a server of some type for incoming and outgoing traffic. Firewalls don't normally block LAN side originating traffic.
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

anomaly wrote:You are correct Meteorite. Even though the 'udpnet' option still exists and is actually still written out to the config file, in bzflag.cxx about line 817

Code: Select all

startupInfo.useUDPconnection=true;
sets UDP on. There is no option to turn it off. In fact /localset udpnet 0 has no effect. Even after a restart.
Heh, didn't even bother looking. ;)
anomaly wrote:I've never had a router block a UDP | TCP connection like this, but I suppose it can happen. Only time I have to port forward is when I run a server of some type for incoming and outgoing traffic. Firewalls don't normally block LAN side originating traffic.
I have a D-Link DI-604 and I have to set it up specifically for BZFlag otherwise I get UDP kicked. I have to set-up "application triggers" for the port ranges that I play on.
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

anomaly
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by anomaly »

A Meteorite wrote: I have a D-Link DI-604 and I have to set it up specifically for BZFlag otherwise I get UDP kicked. I have to set-up "application triggers" for the port ranges that I play on.
I'll have to remember that about D-Link routers. Mostly I am familiar with Linksys, Speedstream, and 2Wire routers. Next time someone at work has an issue with a D-Link that may come in handy.

sure hope this is helping titilasticot. :)
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

Im having the same issue. Turn on UDP, i read all that you guys wrote above but didnt understand any of it :?

What can Titilasticot and I do?
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

There isn't a way to turn UDP off anymore, so there is nothing to turn on. This is an issue with either a firewall or a router that is blocking or filtering UDP connections.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

ApeAttack
Private
Private

Post by ApeAttack »

Hi all,

I'm having the same problem. I dl'd 2.0.8 to my vista machine and I got the following message:

[SERVER->] Your end is not using UDP, turn on udp
[SERVER->] upgrade your client http://BZFlag.org or
[server->] Try another server Bye!

When I use my Windows 2000 machine I don't get any error messages.

I went to my config file and changed

#set udpnet 1

to this,

set udpnet 1

However, when I restart bzflag, it gets commented automatically (the '#' returns).

What can I do about this?

I have a linksys WRT54G router.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

the setting dosnt' do anything in BZFlag anymore. we always try UDP at the client end. The setting is left over from old old bzflag where UDP was an option.

it's being blocked by your router or firewall.
ImageJeffM
anomaly
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by anomaly »

ApeAttack:
I am using a linksys WRT54G router as well. I do not have to do anything special to play BZFlag with this router. When running a server I have port 5154 forwarded in 'Applications and Gaming'. But not having that set does not block UDP when playing. If the problem only exists on Vista, it would seem that is the problem. Vista has new firewall software. Check your firewall and all security settings.

The default behavior of the new Windows Firewall is to:
Block all incoming traffic unless it is solicited or it matches a configured rule.
Allow all outgoing traffic unless it matches a configured rule.
ApeAttack
Private
Private

Post by ApeAttack »

I completely shut down the firewall. Still get the message.

I discussed the problem on IRC... I got some suggestions, but nothing was resolved :(

This is a Vista problem for sure, but the firewall is shut down.
anomaly
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by anomaly »

Thats not good. I use GNU/Linux myself but have had some experience with Vista and its not good. Unfortunately Vista has DRM built into every ring of the OS, it could be a potential issue. Should not be, but this supposed security and digital rights managment integration has had a lot of attention on the web lately. Keep us posted on the solution.

This from TGDaily:
"it's almost certain that Vista's digital rights technology will break existing casual games."

This from Gaming.MonstersandCritics:
Additionally, Vista relies heavily on ESRB (Electronic Software Ratings Board) ratings in order to block children from accessing inappropriate games. This idea fails to take into account the fact that the ESRB system is voluntary and can cost between $2,000-$3,000 for a game developer, meaning that there is little incentive for casual game developers to rate their games. The end result? Hundreds of otherwise-benign games get blocked.

Its possible that Vista is allowing TCP connections to servers and blocking UDP for reasons mentioned above.
QBasicer
Private
Private

Post by QBasicer »

I don't think there's any way for me to allow UDP access.

You see, I'm at university. The lag I get here is over 2200ms. OUCH! However, when I setup an encrypted SSH tunnel back home, I get under 600ms. Quite the improvement. However, I don't get UDP packets either.

Does anybody know a way I can solve the problem, or am I restricted to TCP only servers from now on?
05addisongeo
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by 05addisongeo »

Im on windows xp and i still get the problem. i can drive around everywhere but as soon as i fire a shot it says
[server>] try another server, bye!
and kicks me out with no other messages. i tried adjusting my firewall and router and things but it still didn't work. "missil warfare" is about the only server i can get onto.
Dream as if you'll live forever, Live as if you'll die tomorrow.
Boomer Sooner
Private
Private

Post by Boomer Sooner »

Anyone have any luck with this issue on a Vista machine? Thanks
Boomer Sooner
Private
Private

Post by Boomer Sooner »

Just wanted to add I'm using Motorola SB5100, it's just a modem - not a router so there are no ports to forward. I also have my firewall turned off and I am running the game as Administrator.
Tanner
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tanner »

Boomer Sooner wrote:Anyone have any luck with this issue on a Vista machine? Thanks
I got BZFlag to run on Vista.

-Tanner
Tanner - Segway HT i180 Red Owner - Random Map Creator - BZStocks - TS Software

Boomer Sooner
Private
Private

Post by Boomer Sooner »

I don't have problems running it, the only problem is with most servers I can't connect just a few, and one of them had problems with someone spamming the chat - disrupting gameplay to the point the server was reset a few times then eventually I couldn't stay on without the lovely turn on UDP message
CJC
Private
Private

Post by CJC »

05addisongeo wrote:Im on windows xp and i still get the problem. i can drive around everywhere but as soon as i fire a shot it says
[server>] try another server, bye!
and kicks me out with no other messages. i tried adjusting my firewall and router and things but it still didn't work. "missil warfare" is about the only server i can get onto.
I'm running XP, and got bumped from Mario's Arena. After I read this thread I went into my Linksys BEFSR41 Router and opened port 5154 to the (static) address of my machine. Now I'm working fine on Mario's, and I'll see if I get any bumps elsewhere.
H0ley
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by H0ley »

I'm also running bzflag on Vista.

Just disable the service.

run-> "services.msc"
/loves meteorite's mom
Bentusi Elite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bentusi Elite »

I had this problem and all I did was disable the router's internal firewall hoping that my anti-virus software would protect any major security holes I probably opened up.
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

I started getting this error again only recently when I went under a non registered name. I then went back to this name which is obviously registered and it worked fine.

How could that be?
urbanracer34
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by urbanracer34 »

I tested BZflag on Vista for about a month, and I never got the "turn on udp" message. BZflag on Vista worked flawlessly. My cd burning software "broke" Vista though( Sonc DLA, came factory installed), so I was forced to restore back to XP.

NOTE: This was when Vista was first launched.