fullscreen radar on 2.0.8

Questions or HOWTOs about the above? Post 'em here...
october rust
Private First Class
Private First Class

fullscreen radar on 2.0.8

Post by october rust »

hi there,

for some odd reason, some server admins out there are assuming that the 2.0.2 client, which was the last version to allow the use of fullscreen radar, may be a cheat client. being a fullscreen radar player for years, im very attached to this setup, so in attempt to avoid future issues w/ the version, and also benefit from some nice features implemented since then, im trying to compile a modded 2.0.8 to allow fullscreen radar.

tho, even being a long time linuxer, for performance reasons (fullscreen radar w/ transparency enabled hurts the fps a lot) i play bzflag at my gaming box, which runs an ancient, crappy but lightweight stripped win98 setup, w/ most effects disabled, on a modest amd duron 1.6ghz/640ddr/asus266 w/ onboard via unichrome 64mb video, getting satisfatory 130fps at 800x600. being english not my native language and not having much time, it took me some days to read the manuals, download and install a suitable compiler for windows, get additional libraries and headers, find the part of code related to the radar size limit, etc, and it seems i've finally managed to apply the mod.

tho, the client is crashing when it goes background, i.e. if i press ctrl+esc. also, when quit w/ shift+f12 (or menu), it crashes w/ an error message instead (program performed illegal operation and will be shut down). this one is no big deal, since it saves the config file before the error occurs and was supposed to quit anyways. i also got an apparently random crash while driving w/out having it windowed. just for the record, crashes w/ the originals 2.0.2/8 are very rare on this system, if ever happened. i've tried using different screen resolutions, different config combinations, but nothing worked. the only way around atm is to use the fullscreen key to get it windowed instead of iconify, so it doesnt crash and then its possible to minimize, return fullscreen or quit w/out crashing it. so its usable, but i'd still like to fix it (will eventually forget and type alt+tab by force of habit).

also, i noticed that the resulting binary is about twice the size of the original. it compiled under winXP w/out errors, using the last versions of dev-c++, libcurl and sdl-devel (under win98 it compiled apparently ok but failed to create the binary file). the source used is the original 2.0.8 with a change at the line that sets the maxRadarSize, from 30 to 48. the client was also tested on winXP running on an athlon 2600 laptop w/ 512 ram and 128 video, where it crashes right at startup claiming unsuficient video memory.

any ideas?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

we don't use devC++ for the offical builds.

devC++ statically links a lot of stuff, so the binary is larger
ImageJeffM