Helo, MY BZFS WENT AWAY

Questions or HOWTOs about the above? Post 'em here...
ashv
Private
Private

Helo, MY BZFS WENT AWAY

Post by ashv »

i compiled Bzflag 2.99 & boom, i lost bzfs 2.0.10! i really need it! any way i can get it back?

Ty
Ashgadgets
Longhair
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Longhair »

You can have both, but you'll need to install them into separate directories. Since you're compiling, I'm assuming you're running Linux. I'm also assuming you compiled your 2.0.10 installation. Most package managers put the server in /usr/bin/, but if you compile it, it puts it in /usr/local/bin/

All you have to do when you compile is make a separate directory for one of them. Something like /home/yourusername/bzflag2.99

Then, when you compile, add --prefix=/home/yourusername/bzflag2.99/ and it will put the binaries in there on the make install step. To run them, just cd to the directory, and do ./bin/bzfs to start up the 2.99 version bzfs.

It sounds like you overwrote your 2.0.10 installation, so you'll have to recompile 2.0.10
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

I build and run both versions on my server. You could do something like this for 2.0.x:

Code: Select all

./autogen.sh -v && ./configure --enable-shared --libdir=/usr/local/lib/bzflag && make
Plugins would be built, and when you run 'make install', they would be placed in /usr/local/lib/bzflag

Then for trunk code (2.99.x), you could use this:

Code: Select all

./autogen.sh -v && ./configure --enable-plugins --libdir=/usr/local/lib/bzflag3 --program-suffix=3 && make
Plugins would be built, and when you run 'make install', they would be placed in /usr/local/lib/bzflag3 (so they don't overwrite the plugins for 2.0.x). Also, all of the binaries would have a 3 after them, so you would run 'bzfs' for 2.0.x, and 'bzfs3' for 2.99.x. (same goes for bzflag and bzadmin)
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)