mac ox x 10.4.11 xcodebuild fails because:

Questions or HOWTOs about the above? Post 'em here...
peerappel
Private First Class
Private First Class

mac ox x 10.4.11 xcodebuild fails because:

Post by peerappel »

Hi, just tried to compile bzflag-2.0.10

Im using the newest xcode possible for my version.
this is what i did:

Downloaded SDL.Framework and putted in: Users/<my-user-name>/libery/Frameworks/SDL.framework

CD bzflag-2.0.10 <--Source
./autogen.sh
./configure
xcodebuild

Xcodebuild Failed:
make[3]: *** [MacPlatformFactory.lo] Error 1
make[3]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../../../include -I../../../include -I../../../src/platform -g -O2 -pipe -pedantic -fno-exceptions -W -Wall -Wundef -Wno-import -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk -arch ppc -arch i386 -O0 -g -O2 -pipe -pedantic -fno-exceptions -W -Wall -Wundef -Wno-import -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk -arch ppc -arch i386 -O0 -c MacVisual.cxx -o MacVisual.o >/dev/null 2>&1
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
** BUILD FAILED **
Also:
checking for SDL framework... no
checking for sdl-config... no
checking for SDL - version >= 1.2.5... no
*** The sdl-config script installed by SDL could not be found
*** If SDL was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in
*** your path, or set the SDL_CONFIG environment variable to the
*** full path to sdl-config.
configure: WARNING: could not find an appropriate SDL version. BZflag will build without SDL
What should i do? Anyone suggestions? (running max os x PPC 10.4.11)
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: mac ox x 10.4.11 xcodebuild fails because:

Post by Bambino »

Just a question, why build 2.0.10 when you can get a good pre-built one? how about a 2.0.12 or something?
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
peerappel
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by peerappel »

Because 2.0.12 is a source for linux xD? (i dont know im not good with that stuff)
zaphod
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by zaphod »

why compiling? just download a client!
all the "hard" work is done and they are ready to use!
and most of all :: they are official !!!

peerappel
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by peerappel »

by zaphod » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:45 am

why compiling? just download a client!
all the "hard" work is done and they are ready to use!
and most of all :: they are official !!!
Agree, but it makes me feel good to do that. I'm also want to learn how to edit graphics etc, that would be nice aint? And i got to start somewhere and u never come far if u can't even compile, but anyone suggestions how ill fix this error?
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

2.0.12 was released to fix bugs in the build system for linux specifically, but that doesn't mean it's only for linux.

Anyway, the issue is that your 'sdl-config' application cannot be found by our configuration script. Try to run that command in a terminal and see if that works. If not, then you'll have to locate that file and add the directory it's in to your PATH environment variable, or set the variable SDL_CONFIG variable to the full path to that binary file (sdl-config). So.. basically what the error you got said. :)
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

peerappel
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by peerappel »

Anyway, the issue is that your 'sdl-config' application cannot be found by our configuration script. Try to run that command in a terminal and see if that works. If not, then you'll have to locate that file and add the directory it's in to your PATH environment variable, or set the variable SDL_CONFIG variable to the full path to that binary file (sdl-config). So.. basically what the error you got said.
I'm new at those things and commands, i ran SDL-config, but then it says command not found.
I don't know any commands xD. Could you tell me how i'll make a path xD? Or just tell me how to command looks like.
Enigma
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Enigma »

Mac OS X frameworks do not have an sdl-config.

Code: Select all

checking for SDL framework... no
checking for sdl-config... no
checking for SDL - version >= 1.2.5... no
So, configure tries to find the framework first, then it tries sdl-config. If it finds the framework, does configure still try to find sdl-config? It doesn't seem to make sense to do that. This shouldn't make a difference, but maybe try moving the SDL framework to /library/frameworks. If this fails, look at config.log to see more details describing why it can't find SDL.

If you really want sdl-config, you have to either compile SDL, building the normal Unix library, or use a package manager to do it for you. There are two different ways you can install SDL on a Mac:

Code: Select all

libsdl @1.2.13 (devel, multimedia)
    Cross-platform multi-media development API

libsdl-framework @1.2.13 (devel, multimedia)
    Cross-platform multi-media development API
But this is the hard way. The easy way is to just not bother building BZFlag, at least until the 3.0 release.
peerappel
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by peerappel »

by Enigma » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:04 am
Well, bzflag 3.0 will take a while. So i keep continue, trying xD
ts
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by ts »

gargamel wrote:Agree, but it makes me feel good to do that. I'm also want to learn how to edit graphics etc, that would be nice aint? And i got to start somewhere and u never come far if u can't even compile, but anyone suggestions how ill fix this error?
BZFlag uses OpenGL. Look for OpenGL tutorials as these are much easier. These have less dependencies, smaller code and no need to search that much in the code (BZFlag uses OpenGL all over the place). Same applies to c++ tutorials.

Regarding the problem you encountered make sure you have sdl-config on your system and in your PATH. I set that variable in my ".profile" the following way: "export PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:$PATH". Please note my sdl-config is in "/opt/local/bin" and the correct path on your system depends on where you installed it. Building the v2_0branch BZFlag client without libsdl fails using Mac OS X.
GU league: http://www.guleague.org/
An introduction to TCP: http://www.lafkon.net/tc/
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

try this. it's worth a try.
Get a new copy of source.
sh autogen.sh
./configure
double-click the file named BZFlag.xcodeproj
in XCode, set "Active Build Configuration" for "development"
Click build

xcode runs the configure script again, but you need to run it once from the terminal first.
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.