How to add a Admin tab?

Questions or HOWTOs about the above? Post 'em here...
Dontkillme
Private First Class
Private First Class

How to add a Admin tab?

Post by Dontkillme »

Hello. How can i add a Admin Tab to BZFlag 2.0.12?
joevano
General
General

Re: How to add a Admin tab?

Post by joevano »

What do you mean? You can't add tabs to the chat window without altering the source code...
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
Dontkillme
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dontkillme »

joevano wrote:What do you mean?
I meant the code for C++
Last edited by Dontkillme on Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Here is the patch that blast wrote to actually ADD the tabs. It might give you a clue,it is an old, old patch... but it may help. http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.ph ... tid=303248
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
Dontkillme
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dontkillme »

joevano wrote:Here is the patch that blast wrote to actually ADD the tabs. It might give you a clue,it is an old, old patch... but it may help. http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.ph ... tid=303248
Thanks, it helped me. I added a tab for a friend too. But I cant open the two tabs. And I
think if i can open them the messages won´t be in there.

Edit: Screenshoot:
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

well yes, you have to do the development work to write the input code to swap tabs.

you are making a new feature, it will take some effort and thought on your part.
ImageJeffM
Dontkillme
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dontkillme »

I think somebody made a forum topic about this. But i don´t know who.
clarahobbs
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by clarahobbs »

That looks like it could be a pretty cool feature! It could be useful to make the "friend" tab not appear until someone sends you about 5 messages (exact number could be configurable). Then it makes a new tab for that player. That would be a lot more complicated, though.
FKA Ratfink
Dontkillme
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dontkillme »

Ratfink wrote:That looks like it could be a pretty cool feature! It could be useful to make the "friend" tab not appear until someone sends you about 5 messages (exact number could be configurable). Then it makes a new tab for that player. That would be a lot more complicated, though.
Hmm... I think that is an good idea but i don´t know a lot about C++. And i cant open the two tabs. Maybe somebody who knows a lot about C++ can help me.
Enigma
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Enigma »

Yeah, I did this once. I won't be able to walk you through every step, mostly because I am very busy right now, with the semester coming to a close and all. I can help a little it though.

It looks like you just need to map some keys to the tabs. There are like five source files you need to edit. If you look at the patch, you can see how it's done. If you do it right, you'll have an option on the key mapping menu for mapping your new admin tab.

You also have to change the logic that filters the messages and places them in the proper tabs. this is in playing.cxx. There is another post about adding an admin tab somewhere, and I think I mentioned the function that handles this logic.

Pretty much everything you need to know can be found in the patch: source files, line numbers, code examples, etc...
Dontkillme
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dontkillme »

Enigma wrote:It looks like you just need to map some keys to the tabs.
:doh: The key mapping! I knew I forgot something
The key mapping menu:
After Keymapping:
Tab for friend:
Admin Tab:
Enigma wrote:You also have to change the logic that filters the messages and places them in the proper tabs. this is in playing.cxx.
Ok I look into it.
Enigma wrote:There is another post about adding an admin tab somewhere, and I think I mentioned the function that handles this logic.
Ok I´m looking for the post.
Dontkillme
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dontkillme »

Dont kill my im a beginer wrote:
Enigma wrote:There is another post about adding an admin tab somewhere, and I think I mentioned the function that handles this logic.
Ok I´m looking for the post.
I cant find it. Maybe its deleted?
Enigma wrote:You also have to change the logic that filters the messages and places them in the proper tabs.
I cant find the line with the filter.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

From playing.cxx:

Code: Select all

void            addMessage(const Player *_player, const std::string& msg,
                           int mode, bool highlight, const char* oldColor)
{
addMessage is used to add a message to the panel, and you can control which tab is used with the 'mode'.

Also look in ControlPanel.cxx and probably the header for that file.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Enigma
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Enigma »

Dontkillme
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dontkillme »

Thanks! :D
Where can i add the code?
I get all the time errors:

------ Build started: Project: date, Configuration: Release_pdcurses Win32 ------
Compiling...
buildDate.cxx
Creating library...
Touching buildDate.cxx...
Build log was saved at "file://c:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Desktop\\bzflag-2.0.12\bzflag-2.0.12\win32\VC8\Release_pdcurses\BuildLog.htm"
date - 0 error(s), 0 warning(s)
------ Build started: Project: bzflag, Configuration: Release_pdcurses Win32 ------
Compiling...
playing.cxx
..\..\src\bzflag\playing.cxx(1336) : warning C4091: '' : ignored on left of 'void' when no variable is declared
..\..\src\bzflag\playing.cxx(1336) : error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before 'if'
..\..\src\bzflag\playing.cxx(1336) : error C2059: syntax error : 'if'
..\..\src\bzflag\playing.cxx(1338) : error C2059: syntax error : 'else'
..\..\src\bzflag\playing.cxx(1340) : error C2059: syntax error : 'else'
..\..\src\bzflag\playing.cxx(1342) : error C2059: syntax error : '}'
..\..\src\bzflag\playing.cxx(1342) : error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before '}'
..\..\src\bzflag\playing.cxx(1342) : error C2059: syntax error : '}'
..\..\src\bzflag\playing.cxx(1345) : error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before '{'
..\..\src\bzflag\playing.cxx(1345) : error C2447: '{' : missing function header (old-style formal list?)
..\..\src\bzflag\playing.cxx(1917) : error C3861: 'removePlayer': identifier not found
..\..\src\bzflag\playing.cxx(2820) : error C3861: 'removePlayer': identifier not found
Build log was saved at "file://c:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Desktop\bzflag-2.0.12\bzflag-2.0.12\win32\VC8\Release_pdcurses\BuildLog.htm"
bzflag - 11 error(s), 1 warning(s)
========== Build: 1 succeeded, 1 failed, 13 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========
Enigma
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Enigma »

You broke it. That is, you have syntax errors.

All I did was change

if (fromServer) {
      addMessage(NULL, fullMsg, ControlPanel::MessageServer, false, oldcolor.c_str());
} else {
      addMessage(NULL, fullMsg, ControlPanel::MessageChat, false, oldcolor.c_str());
}
to

if (fromServer) {
      addMessage(NULL, fullMsg, ControlPanel::MessageServer, false, oldcolor.c_str());
} else if (toAdmin) {
     addMessage(NULL, fullMsg, ControlPanel::MessageAdmin, false, oldcolor.c_str());
} else {
}
This is code from svn, so use integer constants instead of enumeration names (ControlPanel::MessageServer).
Dontkillme
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dontkillme »

Then i get this errors:

------ Build started: Project: date, Configuration: Release_pdcurses Win32 ------
Compiling...
buildDate.cxx
Creating library...
Touching buildDate.cxx...
Build log was saved at "file://c:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Desktop\bzflag-2.0.12\bzflag-2.0.12\win32\VC8\Release_pdcurses\BuildLog.htm"
date - 0 error(s), 0 warning(s)
------ Build started: Project: bzflag, Configuration: Release_pdcurses Win32 ------
Compiling...
playing.cxx
..\..\src\bzflag\playing.cxx(2572) : error C2065: 'fromServer' : undeclared identifier
..\..\src\bzflag\playing.cxx(2573) : error C2065: 'fullMsg' : undeclared identifier
..\..\src\bzflag\playing.cxx(2573) : error C2248: 'MessageServer' : cannot access private enumerator declared in class 'ControlPanel'
        c:\dokumente und einstellungen\desktop\bzflag-2.0.12\bzflag-2.0.12\src\bzflag\ControlPanel.h(84) : see declaration of 'MessageServer'
        c:\dokumente und einstellungen\desktop\bzflag-2.0.12\bzflag-2.0.12\src\bzflag\ControlPanel.h(46) : see declaration of 'ControlPanel'
..\..\src\bzflag\playing.cxx(2573) : error C2065: 'oldcolor' : undeclared identifier
..\..\src\bzflag\playing.cxx(2573) : error C2228: left of '.c_str' must have class/struct/union
        type is ''unknown-type''
..\..\src\bzflag\playing.cxx(2574) : error C2065: 'toAdmin' : undeclared identifier
..\..\src\bzflag\playing.cxx(2575) : error C2065: 'fullMsg' : undeclared identifier
..\..\src\bzflag\playing.cxx(2575) : error C2248: 'MessageAdmin' : cannot access private enumerator declared in class 'ControlPanel'
        c:\dokumente und einstellungen\desktop\bzflag-2.0.12\bzflag-2.0.12\src\bzflag\ControlPanel.h(86) : see declaration of 'MessageAdmin'
        c:\dokumente und einstellungen\desktop\bzflag-2.0.12\bzflag-2.0.12\src\bzflag\ControlPanel.h(46) : see declaration of 'ControlPanel'
..\..\src\bzflag\playing.cxx(2575) : error C2065: 'oldcolor' : undeclared identifier
..\..\src\bzflag\playing.cxx(2575) : error C2228: left of '.c_str' must have class/struct/union
        type is ''unknown-type''
..\..\src\bzflag\playing.cxx(2577) : error C2065: 'fullMsg' : undeclared identifier
..\..\src\bzflag\playing.cxx(2577) : error C2248: 'MessageChat' : cannot access private enumerator declared in class 'ControlPanel'
        c:\dokumente und einstellungen\desktop\bzflag-2.0.12\bzflag-2.0.12\src\bzflag\ControlPanel.h(83) : see declaration of 'MessageChat'
..\..\src\bzflag\playing.cxx(2577) : error C2065: 'oldcolor' : undeclared identifier
..\..\src\bzflag\playing.cxx(2577) : error C2228: left of '.c_str' must have class/struct/union
        type is ''unknown-type''
bzflag - 14 error(s), 0 warning(s)
I added the code

if (fromServer) {
} else if (toAdmin) {
     addMessage(NULL, fullMsg, ControlPanel::MessageAdmin, false, oldcolor.c_str());
} else {
}
To playing.cxx, line 2571
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Like he said, you cannot use those enumeration names (ControlPanel::MessageChat, for example) because that is for trunk code. Use numbers.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Dontkillme
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dontkillme »

Ok. I try it again with

if (fromServer) {
      addMessage(NULL, fullMsg, ControlPanel::2, false, oldcolor.c_str());
} else if (toAdmin) {
     addMessage(NULL, fullMsg, ControlPanel::4, false, oldcolor.c_str());
} else {
      addMessage(NULL, fullMsg, ControlPanel::1, false, oldcolor.c_str());
}
Is that ok?

From ControlPanel.h:

enum MessageModes {
      MessageAllTabs = -2,
      MessageCurrent = -1,
      MessageAll     = 0,
      MessageChat    = 1,
      MessageServer  = 2,
      MessageMisc    = 3,
      MessageAdmin   = 4,
      MessageAllejo  = 5,
      MessageModeCount
[/size]
Dontkillme
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dontkillme »

Dont kill my im a beginer wrote:Ok. I try it again with

if (fromServer) {
      addMessage(NULL, fullMsg, ControlPanel::2, false, oldcolor.c_str());
} else if (toAdmin) {
     addMessage(NULL, fullMsg, ControlPanel::4, false, oldcolor.c_str());
} else {
      addMessage(NULL, fullMsg, ControlPanel::1, false, oldcolor.c_str());
}
Is that ok?

From ControlPanel.h:

enum MessageModes {
      MessageAllTabs = -2,
      MessageCurrent = -1,
      MessageAll     = 0,
      MessageChat    = 1,
      MessageServer  = 2,
      MessageMisc    = 3,
      MessageAdmin   = 4,
      MessageAllejo  = 5,
      MessageModeCount
[/size]
I compiled it and

----- Build started: Project: bzflag, Configuration: Release_pdcurses Win32 ------
Compiling...
playing.cxx
..\..\src\bzflag\playing.cxx(2558) : error C2065: 'fromServer' : undeclared identifier
..\..\src\bzflag\playing.cxx(2559) : error C2065: 'fullMsg' : undeclared identifier
..\..\src\bzflag\playing.cxx(2559) : error C2589: 'constant' : illegal token on right side of '::'
..\..\src\bzflag\playing.cxx(2559) : error C2059: syntax error : '::'
..\..\src\bzflag\playing.cxx(2560) : error C2065: 'toAdmin' : undeclared identifier
..\..\src\bzflag\playing.cxx(2561) : error C2065: 'fullMsg' : undeclared identifier
..\..\src\bzflag\playing.cxx(2561) : error C2589: 'constant' : illegal token on right side of '::'
..\..\src\bzflag\playing.cxx(2561) : error C2059: syntax error : '::'
..\..\src\bzflag\playing.cxx(2563) : error C2065: 'fullMsg' : undeclared identifier
..\..\src\bzflag\playing.cxx(2563) : error C2589: 'constant' : illegal token on right side of '::'
..\..\src\bzflag\playing.cxx(2563) : error C2059: syntax error : '::'
bzflag - 11 error(s), 0 warning(s)
Is there maybe a special place, where i have to add it?
Enigma
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Enigma »

OK......

Enumerations are just named integers. You can either use the enumeration name or an integer constant instead. If you have an enumeration, then it is better to use enumeration names instead of integers, as it expresses intent. For instance,

is better than

addMessage(NULL, fullMsg, 2, false, oldcolor.c_str());
. Why is the first code example better than the second? Well, when reading the code, you might ask, "what does 2 mean?" On the other hand, it is clear what ControlPanel::MessageServer does. It is easier to remember as well. There are probably more reasons, but I don't want to think about it anymore.

Additionally, integer constants do not have class-scope. That is, they are not declared/defined in the class like the MessageModes enumeration is. As a result, you need to use the scope resolution operator (::) to use MessageModes outside of the class (ex: ControlPanel::MessageModes). Using the scope resolution operator with integers doesn't make any sense (ex: ControlPanel::1).

As I already explained before, I am using the latest development code, not the 2.0 code. Thus, it is different. How is it different? Last I checked, you cannot use ControlPanel::MessageModes outside of the ControlPanel class because it has private access only. So use the integer constants, and buy a programming book. Don't forget to read it.

Anyways, named constants rock! Just imagine life without them. :cry:
Dontkillme
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dontkillme »

Enigma wrote:I am using the latest development code, not the 2.0 code.
Where can I download it?
dango
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dango »

The latest dev code will not work with 2.0 servers, so you probably don't want it.
If you do, check out http://my.bzflag.org/w/SVN
clarahobbs
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by clarahobbs »

This looks pretty cool! The only thing I'm concerned about is that the "allejo" tab seems to be hard coded...
FKA Ratfink
Enigma
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Enigma »

It's his client... I'm not concerned.