How to add a Admin tab?

Questions or HOWTOs about the above? Post 'em here...
Enigma
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: How to add a Admin tab?

Post by Enigma »

There is a problem with an admin tab though. The problem is the admin tab conflicts with the other tabs. That is, they are not logically separated; you have an "admin" tab and a "chat" tab, both of which include chat. In addition, what about the server messages that are sent on the admin channel. Should they be sent to the "admin" tab or the "server" tab? This is getting messy now, as some of the server messages and some of the chat messages are sent to the "admin" tab. Now the logical separation of the tabs is not clearly defined. You need to have some sort of logical separation of everything that is consistent. Otherwise you end up with a big mess.

I can think of a more basic argument against an admin tab. What if you are not an admin anywhere? Now you have this stupid tab on your screen taking up space. Well, you might suggest hiding and showing the tab based on whether or not you are an admin at the current server you are connected to. This has a problem as well: all of the admin messages are lost when you join a different server (one where you don't have admin status).

Admin tab == Evil.
Dontkillme
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: How to add a Admin tab?

Post by Dontkillme »

me1 wrote:The latest dev code will not work with 2.0 servers, so you probably don't want it.
If you do, check out http://my.bzflag.org/w/SVN
I tried it all the time with the 2.0.12 code :doh:
Ratfink wrote:This looks pretty cool! The only thing I'm concerned about is that the "allejo" tab seems to be hard coded...
Hmm... Maybe i just have to type in "allejo" in the filter.
Enigma wrote:There is a problem with an admin tab though. The problem is the admin tab conflicts with the other tabs. That is, they are not logically separated; you have an "admin" tab and a "chat" tab, both of which include chat. In addition, what about the server messages that are sent on the admin channel. Should they be sent to the "admin" tab or the "server" tab? This is getting messy now, as some of the server messages and some of the chat messages are sent to the "admin" tab. Now the logical separation of the tabs is not clearly defined. You need to have some sort of logical separation of everything that is consistent. Otherwise you end up with a big mess.
Ok i try it.
Enigma wrote: I can think of a more basic argument against an admin tab. What if you are not an admin anywhere? Now you have this stupid tab on your screen taking up space. Well, you might suggest hiding and showing the tab based on whether or not you are an admin at the current server you are connected to. This has a problem as well: all of the admin messages are lost when you join a different server (one where you don't have admin status).
Hmm... I think i can try it after i made the filter.
Enigma wrote:
Admin tab == Evil.
:)

I try to make a admin filter for 2.0.12Or for 2.0.10?