iPad

Questions or HOWTOs about the above? Post 'em here...
Soft
Private First Class
Private First Class

iPad

Post by Soft »

Any thoughts about making a iPad version?, that would be sooo nice :.-)
blast
General
General

Re: iPad

Post by blast »

A port to the iPhone or iPod Touch has already been discussed here. To summarize the results from that discussion, "no".
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

hutty
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by hutty »

if you can figure out how to control a tank with no buttons, feel free to edit the source and do it yourself
For all of you who have asked what a hutty is, there is one as my avatar.

instant map... just add water
netochka nezvanova
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by netochka nezvanova »

with the internal gyroscope its easy to control a tank , tapping one finger at one side shooting on other side could be gm locking
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

huttymuncher wrote:if you can figure out how to control a tank with no buttons, feel free to edit the source and do it yourself
It's a total rewrite... not an edit.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

And if we were actually going to do a full rewrite, we certainly wouldn't waste it on the iPad.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

enrico123
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by enrico123 »

What About BZAdmin in the ipod touch/iphone and ipad
"See a need fill a need"-(Bigweld from the movie "Robots")
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Get an SSH client for your iphone/ipad and ssh into a linux server to run it... that is what I do from my iphone and ipad. I also use it to access my IRC client from my phone and ipad.
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
enrico123
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by enrico123 »

maybe this could be done and put on the Appstore
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

enrico123 wrote:maybe this could be done and put on the Appstore
Yeah, let us know when you do it.

JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

Simpler to just use HTTP to manage servers and use the built in browser on any mobile device.
ImageJeffM
enrico123
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by enrico123 »

kk im saying it could be done, not that i ca do it
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

enrico123 wrote:kk im saying it could be done, not that i ca do it
Ideas are a dime a dozen and rarely unique (a search of these forums will show you that you are probably the 3rd or 4th person to have this 'idea' and tell us)... implementing them and following through, now that tends to be much, much rarer.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

Anything "can" be done. The question for this forum is that if it SHOULD be done, and if the project should spend time on it. Right now the project can't even get a PC release out... so wasting time on an iPad version that a select few could use would be the height of silliness. Especially given that it would be a total rewrite as most of the code in BZFlag would not work or be suited for the limited resources on the platform, and that it requires specialized hardware and developer contracts to even publish.

In the end the concept of a tank game on the ipad would be best served by a separate project that builds a game that is tailored to the platform.
ImageJeffM
RapidEcho
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by RapidEcho »

blast wrote:And if we were actually going to do a full rewrite, we certainly wouldn't waste it on the iPad.
What would justify a full rewrite, if not an iPad?
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Rapid Echo wrote:
blast wrote:And if we were actually going to do a full rewrite, we certainly wouldn't waste it on the iPad.
What would justify a full rewrite, if not an iPad?
We would probably rewrite it for Windows, OSX, and Linux (and BSD, etc). The same stuff we already support. The justification? To get a better and more modern base for the game. (Use more 3rd party libraries, support newer advances in technology, handle the simulation better, etc)

macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

From my limited understanding of OpenGL ES (the version of OpenGL for embedded devices, such as the iPhone/iPad/Android devices), I believe it is based on OpenGL 2.0, which had many fundamental structural changes over previous versions. Basically, the approach to the rendering pipeline is totally different, based on shaders rather than simple data input (oversimplified, but close). BZFlag rendering code uses OpenGL 1.x functionality, and would require a near re-write of the rendering code to refactor it into OpenGL 2.0-compatible code. This would also break compatibility with a lot of hardware (including some "modern" low-end GPUs), although it would open the door up to a lot of new possibilities for modern graphics effects which are not feasible now. If the rendering code was updated to be OpenGL 2.0 compatible, porting to an embedded device would be much simpler as OpenGL ES for embedded devices is based on OpenGL 2.0.

However, if we're going to re-write the rendering code, we might as well use a 3D library like Ogre to get a much larger range of possibilities, rather than updating the code to use OpenGL 2.0 functionality. This is another reason why this will probably not happen... if the work is going to be done, there are simply better things to spend the time on.
snick
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by snick »

enrico123 wrote:What About BZAdmin in the ipod touch/iphone and ipad
A little learning exercise of mine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1gfAyHifdA&hd=1