Ubuntu 11.10 64 bit bzflag 2.4.0

Questions or HOWTOs about the above? Post 'em here...
fox in the fog
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Ubuntu 11.10 64 bit bzflag 2.4.0

Post by fox in the fog »

Hm... That's clear :)
But installing bzflag by this way... How can I modify the source to remove the line?
Fox in the Fog wrote:I added different images on data folder (orbit's textures) and edited the scoreboard.cxx source (as blast suggest me) to remove the observer white line under the leader...
P.S.
For the data there's no problem
fox in the fog
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by fox in the fog »

FangUp wrote:just so lol....or its the new update not so well responding to Ubuntu?:D
I think that's one of the worst thing in the world :P
fox in the fog
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by fox in the fog »

I was thinking of that:
sudo apt-get build-dep bzflag
this to install all the dependences of bzflag before compiling it... As it say here http://fontaxweb.wordpress.com/2007/06/ ... in-ubuntu/ I should need to install the dependences to be able to compiling the program. No? What am I forgetting?
The command request the following packages to be installed:
debhelper gettext html2text intltool-debian libunistring0 po-debconf

the program "make" is a the latest version... and also "gcc" and "g++"
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Or just follow my directions. You can tweak the code after the 'svn co' and then just proceed with the rest of the steps. I did those steps and verified it works on an Ubuntu 11.10 system.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

fox in the fog
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by fox in the fog »

The process you suggested me blast, worked just really really fine! :D That's the output of bzflag -version:
BZFlag client 2.4.1.20111021-DEVEL-linux-gnu-SDL (protocol 0221) http://BZFlag.org/
Copyright (c) 1993-2011 Tim Riker
it's liked to SDL! Good. I successfully edited the scoreboard.cxx and also the data folder in bzflag-trunk for textures :D
All is fine now... Thank you all mates.

However i'm a bit confused: What you told me blast, isn't so much different by downloading the source and compiling like I was trying to do... So, why now work correctly and before not?
Also: I'll try to compile bzflag by downloading the source and than "sudo apt-get build-dep bzflag" before compiling; naturally installing also all the packages requested in the README.Linux file (just in another computer). I'm curious to see what happen.
Problem "apparently" solved :D
fox in the fog
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by fox in the fog »

Ah... why when i run ./configure it said "configure bzflag 2.4.1" or something like that, but however the important thing is th version number... Why 2.4.1 instead of 2.4.0?
Thank you all :D
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

The SVN trunk code is the latest and greatest. After a release, we bump the last number to an odd number and continue adding code/fixes to it. Then the next release gets bumped to an even number. So, releases are even, development versions are odd. I had actually found a problem with our configure script in the course of trying to compile, so now it properly detects a system-installed copy of c-ares development files.

Also, when/if further code changes are made, you can update by going into the bzflag-trunk folder and doing this:

svn up
./autogen.sh
./configure
make
sudo make install

And bam, latest and greatest version. The 'svn up' only downloads what has changed, so you don't have to download all the code again, nor would you have to compile the entire game again since it will only compile the changes.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

fox in the fog
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by fox in the fog »

oh no...! I forgot to do "make -j3" instead of only "make"... And the game work just fine :?
FangUp
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by FangUp »

Hahaha! Now dude! Fox in the Fog!
READ ALL the posts on that happened under this topic.
Huge eh?:D but problem solved! gz!
"Thanks for your time, blast." it should be said. (:
To be or not to be. - W. Shakespeare
To bee or not to bee? I sure love Honee! - FangUp
Playing since 2005, with an unregistered nickname.
fox in the fog
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by fox in the fog »

Hey, one moment... I have to visit the forums before replaying... So give me some time :P
Yeah... thank you for your time blast (:
blast wrote:svn up
./autogen.sh
./configure
make
sudo make install
Just great to know...
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

The -j3 isn't critical. By default, it uses -j2, which means it will try to build two things at once (which is good for a single-core processor system - it will always have a second thing to start as soon as the first is done). For a dual core processor, it's best to use -j3 so it will have three things going at once. Generally, you do one number higher than the number of cores in your system. So a quad-core builds faster with -j5.

fox in the fog
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by fox in the fog »

ok... I think i'm gonna rebuild bzflag with -j3 :) thx
blast wrote:For a dual core processor, it's best to use -j3 so it will have three things going at once. Generally, you do one number higher than the number of cores in your system. So a quad-core builds faster with -j5.
the make process usually take me 10 minutes... the make -j3 only 30 seconds :D cool
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

If you didn't clean the source directory, then you didn't actually rebuild the game. Do you HAVE a dual-core processor? If so, then just do that in the future. Doesn't make sense to do it now that you already built the game. It doesn't affect the end result. It just helps build the game faster if you have multiple CPU cores.

fox in the fog
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by fox in the fog »

OOK thank you so much... Yes, i have a dual-core processor and for the next release I'll use -j3