[SOLVED] Compiling 2.4.0 on Debian 6 Squeeze 64-bit amd64

Questions or HOWTOs about the above? Post 'em here...
EchoLynx
Private
Private

[SOLVED] Compiling 2.4.0 on Debian 6 Squeeze 64-bit amd64

Post by EchoLynx »

I am relatively new to this.
This is what I've done:
1.Downloaded BZFlag 2.4.0.
2. Extracted to ~/bzflag-2.4.0
3. Read README, noting the steps for installation.
4. ~/bzflag-2.4.0$ ./autogen.sh
5. ~/bzflag-2.4.0$ ./configure
6. ~/bzflag-2.4.0$ sudo make
7. ~/bzflag-2.4.0$ sudo make install
The first time through I got an error message about libtool. Installed it, tried again, and got a different one asking for g++. Installed it, tried again, and now everything completes without errors. That said, there still isn't a bzflag link in the GNOME Games submenu, "bzflag" gives "command not found", and the only things in ~/bzflag-2.4.0/src/bzflag/ like "bzflag" are "bzflag.h" and "bzflag.cxx".

I don't know what else to do.
Last edited by EchoLynx on Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Grans Remedy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Compiling 2.4.0 on Debian 6 Squeeze 64-bit amd64

Post by Grans Remedy »

I assume there isn't a suitable package in the repositories? Did you try "apt-get install bzflag" or something before resorting to compiling the source code?
During the configure step, it usually tells you if it is going to build a client, server, admin tool etc or not (and why not).
In step 7 its usual practice to "get root" privileges first, usually with su or sudo and entering the root password. That will put the game binaries in usual places (for your system).
Without it the 'make install' step should put the binaries into the ../src/bzflag/ directory, but it wont have any filename extension (unlike other operating systems). So you'd need to enter that directory before trying to run it, or put the full path in front of it something like ~/bzflag-2.4.0/src/bzflag/bzflag
Oh, and its not unusual for software compiled from sources to not show up in Gnome or KDE menus - you will probably have to add it yourself ( I tend to launch it from the command line each time).
HTH,
Grans
No coffee, no workee
Bullet Catcher
Captain
Captain

Post by Bullet Catcher »

There is no bzflag-2.4.0 packge for Debian yet.

If the "make install" command succeeded, then you should be able to run /usr/local/bin/bzflag on the command line. Even if it didn't install, in your ~/bzflag-2.4.0 directory it should work when you run src/bzflag/bzflag .
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

There's also a README.Linux that gives you the necessary packages for building on Debian. You won't get a menu icon by doing a 'make install' because the icon is created as part of the Debian packaging.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

EchoLynx
Private
Private

Dependencies

Post by EchoLynx »

I was missing almost all of the dependencies listed in README.Linux. Once I installed them I could successfully compile, install, and run BZFlag 2.4.0. As stated, no menu item was created.

Thank you everyone for your help.