Raspberry Pi port

Questions or HOWTOs about the above? Post 'em here...
TheMagicCookie
Private First Class
Private First Class

Raspberry Pi port

Post by TheMagicCookie »

Is it at all possible to port BZFlag to the Raspberry Pi? Raspberry Pi is tiny computer with an ARM11 (ARM V6) CPU, 700MHz, 512MB of RAM, can run a variety of operating systems, mainly Debian Linux, Arch Linux, and RISC OS. It does have OpenGL ES

Any chance of getting BZFlag to run on this?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Re: Raspberry Pi port

Post by JeffM »

anything is possible if someone wants to put the work into it
ImageJeffM
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

It would take a considerable amount of work to port BZFlag to OpenGL ES. Pretty much require rewriting all the graphics code. The 512MB RAM is only in the newer revision of the model B. My model B only has 256MB, and all the model A's will have 256MB as well. Additionally, the CPU in the Pi is equivalent to something like a Pentium II, and if BZFlag is CPU-bound, that may have a big effect on how well the game will run. Overclocking the CPU to 1GHz with the latest firmware roughly double the performance, though.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

TheMagicCookie
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by TheMagicCookie »

Well, my Pi has 512MB, I just got it a couple of weeks ago. Maybe ill put some work into it in the future. I just wanted to ask if it was at all possible before I spend weeks doing a rewrite! Thank you for your responses.
tadd
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by tadd »

This is very interesting, especially with the iterations of Raspberry PI that have come through.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 800 character limit
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

It already runs on the Pi, unmodified, if you enable the experimental OpenGL driver. I've run it this way on the Pi 3 with the official Pi display (so, lower resolution of 800x480) at a reasonable framerate. There's also an OpenGL ES fork that exists now.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

click click boom
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by click click boom »

What kind of FPS on the pi?
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

Constitution wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:45 am The Raspberry Pi is probably the platform with the best support for this project right now. On my RaspBerry Pi 2 Model B, on an average map I would get somewhere between 30 and 45 FPS at 640x480, and closer to 30 FPS at higher resolutions. When the resolution gets too high, however, the framerate can drop significantly. Otherwise, the embedded client generally runs on the Raspberry Pi just like the standard client does on desktop computers.

Here's the main thread on the BZFlag Embedded Port. (And also where the quote originally came from.)

-Zehra
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

I was not running the embedded port. I was running the normal full OpenGL version of the game. I was getting about 30FPS on the Tuxee map running at 800x480 resolution on a Pi3.