libtool woes OSX 10.5 ppc

Questions or HOWTOs about the above? Post 'em here...
a dead man
Private First Class
Private First Class

libtool woes OSX 10.5 ppc

Post by a dead man »

trying to compile v2.4.2 on 10.5 PPC and failing with libtool 'command not found' errors, is this because of the wrong libtool version? (currently around 1.5, I'd have to check) the last version that will compile without error is v2.0.16.

note v2.40 brings up the same libtool errors as 2.4.2

does anyone know if I can build 2.4.2 on MacOS PPC using other than Xcode? I can't yet afford a new intel server, and the last Xcode that will build for ppc has libtool v1.5x
blast
General
General

Re: libtool woes OSX 10.5 ppc

Post by blast »

You could just use the 2.4.0 binary package we provide.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

a dead man
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by a dead man »

blast wrote:You could just use the 2.4.0 binary package we provide.
currently using that, but the time will come when I 'must' upgrade, atm I am trying to sort out the problems I'm having with libtool in advance of that time :)
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

The latest code in SVN does have a proper Xcode project now (instead of a wrapper around the *nix command line tools), but I'm not sure if that will work on the version of Xcode that is on 10.5 PPC.

However, can you post the output of './autogen.sh -v' from the 2.4.2 source and 'libtool --version'?
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

Just so you know, we are looking at using some features from C++11 in our subversion code. This will mean that the modules we use these features in will require GCC 4.3 or later on systems that use GCC. The current Apple compilers have moved from gcc to llvm and do support these features, but the older versions of xcode that used gcc stopped at 4.2 and will probably not work.

Right now this only affects the server module so the client should still build, but I just wanted to warn you that it's days are numbered. GCC 4.3 was released in 2008 and is old enough to be included everywhere that is reasonable to expect, except for the platform that Apple abandoned.

Now that all said, there may be ways to get newer GCCs onto a PPC, or wrappers that could be made for the features that we use, but those are not something we will be able to provide support for.
ImageJeffM
a dead man
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by a dead man »

thanks for the info, looks like I won't need to post the output from autogen.sh and libtool. compiled source with no libtool issues on the intel OSX 10.8. I am prepared to say its a version problem which won't be fixed on outdated hardware and software combinations. now I am seriously considering dumping OSX 10.5 on the ppc and installing gentoo on it instead. it might give me a few more years with my beloved mac (I hate to waste a good machine just because I can't get software for it anymore)

shame, I love the ease of server setup and administration that OSX gave me. on the flip side - plugins for bzfs! :D

thanks jeffm and blast
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

If you want "ease", then Debian might be a better option to throw on there. ;)

JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

The last PPC mac was discontinued in 2006, so I'm actually surprised you were able to use it for this long.
ImageJeffM
a dead man
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by a dead man »

well, bit the bullet, installed Debian (after trying gentoo, fedora, ubuntu and failing - they all kept falling over during the install) and bzflag 2.4.2 compiled without any errors, so I'm pretty pleased with that, now just have to transfer all my server configs over from Mac side and i'm good to go. at least now I know that OSX 10.5.8 is not up to the task anymore :(
alpha-5H
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by alpha-5H »

Hi

What spec PPC were you trying to run/ compile 2.4.2 with? And which version of Debian have you got 2.4.2 running with?

I am running a G4 1.25 Dual and 867 Dual ( and Atari ST ) ;) Plenty of life left in all of them for me! I don't need these mostly pointless upgrades because programs can't be optimised. ( Just lazy )

I don't know how possible it is but I might be interested in trying to get BZflag running under Amiga OS 4 or MorphOS maybe even Dreamcast? or FireBee!

cheers