bzfs modification - questions

Questions or HOWTOs about the above? Post 'em here...
alfa1
Private First Class
Private First Class

bzfs modification - questions

Post by alfa1 »

(1) Could I modify bzfs to make it not counting autopilot robots then they can be allowed on public servers (List Server)? I was told by developers time ago I could do modifications and host but I am not sure this kind of modification would be allowed.
To not post code, it would not count them at the same exact point it doesn't count solo robots, by detecting callsigns starting with 'robot'.
I think I would use a clear message into the introduction to the server like this: '*** IMPORTANT: this server is modified to allow autopilot robots publically. In case of doubts, talk to BZFlag admins. ***'
(2) In affirmative case, should I modify BZ_PROTO_VERSION in src/date/buildDate.cxx? Would players with standard BZ_PROTO_VERSION be able to see and join my server?
(3) Could I add '*Robots*' (or '*R*') on the title of the server and, then, clarify it into the intro message like '*Server w/Robots* (*)' with this asterisk referencing to the 'IMPORTANT' message stated above?

Thanks.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Re: bzfs modification - questions

Post by JeffM »

1) You'll have to recompute and resend the list server player counts whenever someone toggles autopolot on or off. The code does not currently do this, so you'll have to add it. There would be no reason not to post the code. it is not a cheat, it lowers the player count, so it's no big deal. The rules for mods are for servers that use robots to increase player counts, not decrease.
2) If you change the protocol version nobody else will be able to connect to you with a standard client. Do not change this. Your mod does not break game play in any way.
3) The title is whatever you want it to be, it's your server.
ImageJeffM