I can't get the 2.0.1 CVS version to compile under DEV-C++

Questions or HOWTOs about the above? Post 'em here...
UL_Approved
Private First Class
Private First Class

I can't get the 2.0.1 CVS version to compile under DEV-C++

Post by UL_Approved »

I tried looking through the READEME.DEVC++ file in the CVS repository, and it showed me the way to get SDL libraries and headers set up for DEV-C++. The CURL instructions were minimal, so I just copied the /include/ folder from the curl-7.11.1-win32-nossl-devel release into the /include/ folder for DEV-C++. I also copied the libcurl.exp and libcurl.lib to the /lib/ folder for DEV-C++. I am using the 4.9.9.2 binary release for DEV-C++, the SDL-devel-1.2.8-mingw32 release for SDL, and the CURL release mentioned above. I also opened the project bzflag.dev from the Windows shell, as per the makefile bug in the Readme file.

The problem seems to be that the ../src/bzflag/ActionBinding.cxx file is giving me troubles, and that some data types are not defined in the libraries for DEV-C++ because of this. Am I missing a step, is there a bug with DEV-C++, or is this code errors in the project?
UL_Approved
Private First Class
Private First Class

I tried some new things

Post by UL_Approved »

I looked at the errors presented in the compiler output, and it had a problem with the int_64 type.

Then, at the time of this post, I updated the CVS files (with TortiseCVS) and everything seems to be fine. It is compiling as I speak.

Now I get to the very end, and the linking of all object files and pre-compiled libraries fails. The error reads:
The input line is too long.
make.exe: *** [../src/bzflag/bzflag.exe] Error 255
Execution terminated
This seems a little annoying, since this is the last step of the whole project. Is there a makefile for this step, if so where, and how do I manually enter it with make.exe? Anybody know?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

what version of windows do you have?
ImageJeffM
UL_Approved
Private First Class
Private First Class

Further thoughts

Post by UL_Approved »

I am using Windows 2000, SP4, v5.00.2195. I tried downloading the .ZIP version of the 2.0.0 source code and compiling it (its different than the .tar.bz2 or .tar.gz versions). I even went so far as to COMPLETELY reinstall Dev-C++. I then had to reinstall SDL. The .ZIP version of the 2.0.0. code DOESN'T require the CURL library.

At this point, I recompiled, got through ALL of the object files with no difficulty, and the make step failed. How do I enter the make command as a makefile for GCC? Its been too long since I used C++ in any real capacity...

I'm still not sure what is up with the int_64 data type failures. But they have gone away as of now.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

Windows does have a limit on how long it's command line options can be. The dev C++ project isn't the main dev system the primary windows devs use. It was made by Lan56, and he seems to be the only one using/maintaining it. I'd talk to him and get him to update it. The DevC++ project files he made try to build all off bzflag as one big thing, this could make the command line get big very fast ( all it does it put a wraper on calling GCC from the command line ). so I don't think you calling it directly is going to do anything ether
ImageJeffM
Lan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lan »

The dev-c++ files are updated as of just a few seconds ago, and I got no errors; a successful build actually, so that is not the problem.

UL_Approved: copy and paste the linking line here. To get this, click on the "Compile Log" tab near the bottom when Dev-C++ is done compiling and shows the errors. Copy the longest, most recent command to g++.exe (the very beginning of this certain line should start with "g++.exe"). A sample of this certain line is mine--it should look something like this:

g++.exe ../src/bzflag/ActionBinding.o ../src/bzflag/BackgroundRenderer.o ../src/bzflag/bzflag.o ../src/bzflag/callbacks.o ../src/bzflag/ControlPanel.o ../src/bzflag/daylight.o ../src/bzflag/HUDRenderer.o ../src/bzflag/HUDui.o ../src/bzflag/LocalPlayer.o ... ../src/bzflag/CacheManager.o ../src/bzflag/bzflag_private.res -o "..\src\bzflag\bzflag.exe" -L"lib" -mwindows -lmingw32 -lstdc++ -lsdl -lws2_32 -ldsound -lwinmm -lglu32 -lopengl32 -lkernel32 -luser32 -lgdi32 -lwinspool -lcomdlg32 -ladvapi32 -lshell32 -lole32 -loleaut32 -luuid -lodbc32 -lodbccp32 -lcurl -lcurldll

(the bold "..." is stuff I cut out of here for readability, it is just a continued list of the files)

You can also try to recompile everything from the CVS build version, this may work. Did you modify the project files in any way? If so, this may be the problem.