bzadmin curses for Windows

Questions or HOWTOs about the above? Post 'em here...
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

bzadmin curses for Windows

Post by RPG »

Could someone with the proper libraries (pdcurses) and resources (a compiler that will comple BZadmin cureses) please compile a copy of bzadmin-curses for windows users? I believe Visual Studio will compile it (as long as you have pdcurses), but Dev C++ won't. BZadmin for windows (without curses) just plain sucks, and virtually unusable. The curses version, which is a beast to compile, has all the features of a good BZAdmin and it's actually usable, the only problem is it doesn't come with the installer.

The BZAdmin-curses source is in CVS.
Lan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lan »

Dev-C++ compiles it, and I just updated the files last night, so it should work well. You will need to download the PDCurses library and put its files in the correct places (which is covered in the Dev-C++ readme file), but the rest is a piece of cake as you just let it compile like all the others. Tell me if you need further help should you try it; I am here to help.
DTRemenak
General
General

Post by DTRemenak »

Actually it's visual studio which is not set up to compile bzadmin-curses. When I build it I do so with MSYS.
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

It got to the linking part of the compile process, but it pooped out here:

Code: Select all

-L"G:/Programs/Dev-Cpp/pdcurses/lib" -lstdc++ -lwsock32 -lwinmm -lcurses -lcurl  -fmessage-length=0 

G:\Programs\Dev-Cpp\Bin\..\lib\gcc\mingw32\3.4.2\..\..\..\..\mingw32\bin\ld.exe: cannot find -lcurl
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

make.exe: *** [../src/bzadmin/bzadmin-curses.exe] Error 1

Execution terminated
Lan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lan »

Did you download the CURL library from this link: http://curl.haxx.se/libcurl/cplusplus/? Did you put all the files in the right places, including "libcurl.a" in the "/lib/" folder of Dev-C++? IIRC it is already compiled, but if libCURL still needs to be compiled from source, simply import the Visual Studio files that it should come with (unless you have a different way you'd rather do) in Dev-C++ and let that compile.
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

I have no clue what I did, I thought I had CURL before, but I downloaded your version, set libcurl.a in the /lib/ folder, and now it says this:

g++.exe ../src/bzadmin/UIMap.o ../src/bzadmin/bzadmin.o ../src/bzadmin/BZAdminClient.o ../src/bzadmin/BZAdminUI.o ../src/bzadmin/OptionParser.o ../src/bzadmin/Ping.o ../src/bzadmin/Address.o ../src/bzadmin/multicast.o ../src/bzadmin/network.o ../src/bzadmin/Pack.o ../src/bzadmin/ServerLink.o ../src/bzadmin/StateDatabase.o ../src/bzadmin/TimeKeeper.o ../src/bzadmin/ErrorHandler.o ../src/bzadmin/bzfio.o ../src/bzadmin/BundleMgr.o ../src/bzadmin/Bundle.o ../src/bzadmin/PlayerState.o ../src/bzadmin/buildDate.o ../src/bzadmin/ShotUpdate.o ../src/bzadmin/Flag.o ../src/bzadmin/Team.o ../src/bzadmin/CursesUI.o ../src/bzadmin/CursesMenu.o ../src/bzadmin/AutoCompleter.o ../src/bzadmin/TextUtils.o ../src/bzadmin/DirectoryNames.o ../src/bzadmin/ServerItem.o ../src/bzadmin/ServerList.o ../src/bzadmin/ServerListCache.o ../src/bzadmin/StartupInfo.o ../src/bzadmin/FileManager.o -o "..\src\bzadmin\bzadmin-curses.exe" -L"G:/Programs/Dev-Cpp/lib" -lstdc++ -lwsock32 -lwinmm -lcurses -lcurl -fmessage-length=0

../src/bzadmin/BZAdminClient.o(.text+0x7871):BZAdminClient.cxx: undefined reference to `cURLManager::perform()'
../src/bzadmin/ServerList.o(.text+0x143):ServerList.cxx: undefined reference to `cURLManager::cURLManager()'
../src/bzadmin/ServerList.o(.text+0x211):ServerList.cxx: undefined reference to `cURLManager::~cURLManager()'
../src/bzadmin/ServerList.o(.text+0x283):ServerList.cxx: undefined reference to `cURLManager::cURLManager()'
../src/bzadmin/ServerList.o(.text+0x351):ServerList.cxx: undefined reference to `cURLManager::~cURLManager()'
../src/bzadmin/ServerList.o(.text+0x431):ServerList.cxx: undefined reference to `cURLManager::~cURLManager()'
../src/bzadmin/ServerList.o(.text+0x45b):ServerList.cxx: undefined reference to `cURLManager::~cURLManager()'
../src/bzadmin/ServerList.o(.text+0x53b):ServerList.cxx: undefined reference to `cURLManager::~cURLManager()'
../src/bzadmin/ServerList.o(.text+0x565):ServerList.cxx: undefined reference to `cURLManager::~cURLManager()'
../src/bzadmin/ServerList.o(.text+0x645):ServerList.cxx: more undefined references to `cURLManager::~cURLManager()' follow
../src/bzadmin/ServerList.o(.text+0x1892):ServerList.cxx: undefined reference to `cURLManager::setURL(std::string)'
../src/bzadmin/ServerList.o(.text+0x18e3):ServerList.cxx: undefined reference to `cURLManager::addHandle()'
../src/bzadmin/ServerList.o(.text+0x1e25):ServerList.cxx: undefined reference to `cURLManager::collectData(char*, int)'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

make.exe: *** [../src/bzadmin/bzadmin-curses.exe] Error 1

Execution terminated
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

move to compile help
ImageJeffM
Lan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lan »

RPG: I updated both BZAdmin project files a few minutes ago, so CVS update as they fix those linker errors.

However, I misread "curses" as "curl," so you will need to check if you have "libcurses.a" in your "/lib/" folder of Dev-C++ as that will fix the Curses linking errors you will most likely have. If you already have it, you're good to go. If you don't, I attached mine that I compiled today from PDCurses sources to save you some trouble. Place in the in the "/lib/" folder. It isn't a problem that I misread because you would have had the "curl" errors anyway.

One more thing: when I compile things with CURL, it tells me linker errors about things starting with "imp_". Now, another person compiled the same thing for me and he had no problems like that, so I hope you don't have any, but if you do tell me as I will know exactly what you are talking about.
Attachments
libcurses.zip
libcurses.zip -- ZIPed Build of PDCurses built today from the latest version.
(38.89 KiB) Downloaded 118 times
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

Hmm, I don't seem to be picking up bzadmin-pdcurses.dev on my CVS update. I'll try again tommorow.
Lan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lan »

Anonymous CVS on sf.net can take up to 5 hours to update.
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

On startup, Dev-C++ says this: File G:\Programs\repisitories\bzflag\src\net\AdnsHandler.cxx is not found

So I hit OK, and half-knowingly got the same errors as I did last time.

Lan, could you post the bzadmin-curses.exe that you were able to compile?
Lan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lan »

That's quite weird because cURLManager.cxx in /common/ fixes them. Try recompiling ServerList.cxx and any other file that gives those errors (make Dev-C++ recompile them by just typing a letter in the file and deleting it, just so dev-c++ thinks you changed it). Often times that works.

Either way, I have attached my BZAdmin curses executable. It is a bit large, even though I used GNU strip on it.
Attachments
bzadmin-curses.zip
bzadmin-curses.zip -- Executable of BZAdmin curses version.
(247.12 KiB) Downloaded 120 times
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

I gave up on compiling it, and am happily using your end result :D . You should compile it for every BZFlag release, it really is much better than the bzadmin.exe (without curses). Makes Windows more bearable, ya know?
Lan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lan »

I know exactly what you mean :)

If you ever want to continue with compiling it, or ever have any further questions/complaints/suggestions/anything, feel free to tell me. Maintaining Dev-C++ files for BZFlag is my passion, not my stress.