General compiliation instructions for bzflag 1.7g0 and linux

Questions or HOWTOs about the above? Post 'em here...
Fiberchunks
Administrator
Administrator

General compiliation instructions for bzflag 1.7g0 and linux

Post by Fiberchunks »

Pick a way to install / build and stick with it...for right now, use the cvs method; here goes:

1. make a directory in your home directory called cvs (or whatever):
$mkdir cvs

2. cd into that directory:
$cd cvs

3. grab the sources from sourceforge:
$cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.bzflag.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/bzflag login
Password: <just hit enter>
$cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.bzflag.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/bzflag co -r v1_7 bzflag

4. stuff will happen (this is good), you are now populating the bzflag cvs directory with files...

5. cd into the new bzflag directory you have
$cd bzflag

6. issue the following commands:
$make linux
$make

--It will start compiling a bunch of things (bzfs, bzflag, etc...)...when this is all done, and if you have errors -- let me know, and we'll try again...

If, however, this completes sucessfully, you will now have a shiny new bin directory in the bzflag directory, which will contain bzflag, bzfs, bzfls, etc..

If this is the case (sucess), then from the bin directory, do:
$bzflag -directory ../data

If it runs, you can go back to the bzflag directory, and issue (as root):
#make install

and it should be kosher :)

Good luck, let me know if it works

Peace
DTRemenak
General
General

Error with missing GLU.h

Post by DTRemenak »

If you're having problems...

Some distros (e.g. Mandrake) ship with a rather limited version of mesa, and will generate errors about a missing GLU.h file when you follow the above steps. If this is the case, go download the newest version of mesa from http://3dmesa.sourceforge.net and install it, then try compiling again (if you install a new version of mesa and are using nvidia's drivers, you'll have to reinstall them afterwards, too).

I've posted this several other places in response to problems over time, and told several people privately. Just thought it'd be a good idea to put here, since it occurs so frequently.
KRR
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by KRR »

I have e6 that was compiled (AFAICT) as a .deb specifically for the distro I use (version is "bzflag 1.7e6-xandros" - Xandros is the distro name, Debian based). I'm not a newbie to Linux - but there's a lot I still don't know, and I haven't done any work with CVS - so:

Question: does the CVS version have a different set of dependencies than the g0 version that is in unstable for Debian?

Figured I'd ask before I try :) I assume it would, but am keeping fingers crossed...

TIA

KR
"My other tank is a sailboat..."
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

CVS is just bug fixes from G0 it should not have anything new dependency wise. tho it does use more STL, but your system should have that.
ImageJeffM
learner
General
General

CVS and building on Mac OS X

Post by learner »

For those of you that try these instructions on Mac OS X, after having just gone through the process myself, I figured I would share some thoughts.

The instructions are pretty much the same for Mac OS X except instead of "make linux", you'd normally do a "make macosx". Then proceed as usual.

For me, this process failed running 10.2.6 due to incorrect header inclusion ordering and some bogus defines. You'll end up with an error in one of the system header files (math.h) where several #define macros (in include/common.h) get in the way when MACOSX is defined (which the makefile does for you).

The "actual" problem is a little involved, but there is a simple minimal keystroke fix to get things to work: modify include/common.h and #include <math.h> right before all of the definitions for the floating point math routines.

There are even better solutions that would be more "correct", but that should get "most everything" to build. Something else will fail, but I believe the core targets that you'll care about get built.

BETTER YET, if you want to avoid that whole mess, there is a Project Builder project in src/platform that will build the current Mac OS X distribution for you with the click of a button..

Cheers!
rob1n
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by rob1n »

where is the project builder?
elmer fudd
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by elmer fudd »

learner i tried using the project builder/xtools for 1.11 but there are problems with a framework? so learner its best to go the terminal root
PS you have to have dev tools installed on osx
learner
General
General

dead thread

Post by learner »

This thread is very old and should pretty much be considered dead. The information is partially out of date in any regard.

If you're building from CVS, it's random as to whether or not the XCode project will work or not. The ProjectBuilder project will not likely be maintained after 1.10.6. If you use the ProjectBuilder project in CVS on the v1_10branch, it should work just fine even now. 1.12 will most likely move over to the XCode project, though.

You don't need to be root to build no matter how you build, command-line or not.

Cheers!

p.s. Start a new thread for new questions.. this thread needs to die (and it may get moved into the attic anyways).
elmer fudd
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by elmer fudd »

sry i meant route
btw i use command line neway :)
rob1n
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by rob1n »

can someone get patlabor to lock up or remove this topic? some ppl new to bzflag cvs may try these and start posting for trouble with the instructions on this topic...
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

best is to STOP POSTING TO IT.

or get it updated to curernt stuff.
ImageJeffM
rob1n
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by rob1n »

i'm not a moderator or admin...
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

you can post, and ask for it to be updated.

but i digress

it's not sticky anymore
ImageJeffM