NSIS Installer?

Questions or HOWTOs about the above? Post 'em here...
LouMan
Chief Sgt. of Cartography

NSIS Installer?

Post by LouMan »

I have recently compiled BZFlag (from CVS) with Windows Visual C++ Express :), and I can manually install the built applications and associated dll's, folders, etc. to a new directory and run the new build with no problems. I built from the VC80 directory.

I am very close to getting the NSIS installer to work, but I seem to have an issue that I know nothing about. The NSIS compiler completes successfully and the installer seems to be working, but when I try to run bzflag.exe after the install I get an error ".... MSVCP80.dll was not found." bzfs.exe and bzadmin.exe run with no problems.

As far as I can tell, there are no requirements for this library with BZFLag (msvcp71.dll is the file I included per the nsis script). I would think that this problem is associated with the NSIS compiler because I can install applications manually it seems to work ok. Any ideas?

Is is something to do with the VC80 build versus the VC71 build? I have to believe that those matching numbers mean something. Perhaps I should try building from VC71?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

yes it has to do with VC8
the installer is designed to copy the files for VC71 builds, not 8.0. you'll need to copy the VC8 versions of those DLLs to the bzflag root dir, and modify your installer script to use those versions.
ImageJeffM
romfis
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by romfis »

And go from "Debug Mode" in "Release Mode" and fine...
LouMan

Post by LouMan »

Okay, completed what was mentioned: modified NSIS script for VC8 versions of the dll's and added the VC8 dll's to the bzflag root directory. NSIS compiled ok and installed BZFlag application ok, but now when I try to run the bzflag.exe application I get "The procedure entry point_except_handler4_common could not be located in the dynamic link library MSVCR80.dll" Anything I am missing here?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

I've heard of that problem before when building with VC8EE.

we have not tested VC8EE as a viable way to do full release builds. We planed on doing that for 2.2.

basically your in untested waters here. It sounds like there may be more then one version of the DLL and the one you packed was missing something. But we haven't done the research yet.
ImageJeffM
LouMan

Post by LouMan »

Okay, thanks for the information :) It really isn't a huge issue, because I can still manually install the built executables and run them ok.