Servers Classification (Protected Mode #2)

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
alfa1
Private First Class
Private First Class

Servers Classification (Protected Mode #2)

Post by alfa1 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:08 pm

Regarding to my previous thread on the topic, this new one is a suggestion about
implementing it not in the developing side (which has its own situation/difficulties) but in the servers side, in owners' side. And it's rather simple to be made also.

We were talking (or was my suggestion at the end) about making 3 kinds of servers; then now, the servers owners should just have to add the classification at the start of the title/description and people could just filter by them:

[FF] - Family-Friendly servers: neither bad nor mild words are allowed.
[INT] - Intermediate servers: mild words are allowed; bad words are not allowed.
[NFF] - Non-Family-Friendly servers: either mild and bad words are allowed.

Using brackets to make filters work well. Please note that the classification is, also, related to behaviours and topics, not only to language.

The filters for people would be:
- Pressing '/' to search.
- Writting either '/d)[FF]*', '/d)[INT]*' or '/d)[NFF]*' and pressing the enter key; note that the backslashs are needed to be included. (Searching for 2 kinds would be, in example: '/d)[FF]*/d)[INT]*'.)

Any issue, press the escape key and start again. Remember you can edit quick filters by 'e' and save the settings, just in case, by the main menu.

Why adding the classification at the start of the title/description? To make it easy-to-read, to make an 'standard', let's say, and, maybe too, to avoid missing the search by any other meaning (if anybody uses the same sign in other part of the phrase for other meaning).

I think that owners which agree with this could just start implementing it but, in the other hand, I think, also, that the developing/administrative team should give any kind of support to make it safer. In example, if a server says '[FF]' but it doesn't follow FF rules, after players' complaints, it should be disabled.

Some possible examples:

Pie Lovers: [FF].
Planet M*f*: [NFF].
Leagues United: [INT] (either this or they could have 2 groups of servers: [FF] and [INT]).

Hope it helps!
2.6 will have laser sight!

Log Converter

blast
General
General

Re: Servers Classification (Protected Mode #2)

Post by blast » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:58 pm

The wildcard on the filter is unnecessary. For example, you can just use the filter '[FF]' or '/d)[FF]'
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

alfa1
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Servers Classification (Protected Mode #2)

Post by alfa1 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:04 am

The Spanish version I started using together with the English one:

[FAM] - Servidores familiares: ni malas palabras ni palabras intermedias están permitidas.
[INT] - Servidores intermedios: palabras intermedias están permitidas; malas palabras no están permitidas.
[NFAM] - Servidores no familiares: tanto palabras intermedias como malas palabras están permitidas.

[FAM] = [FF].
[INT] = [INT].
[NFAM] = [NFF].

2 improvements (thanks for the feedback):

- As allejo did it, the classification is better placed at the end of the title, instead.
- Mostly agreeing with blast, the wildcards become, in the practice, rarely necessary.
2.6 will have laser sight!

Log Converter