Tank intermitently stops moving

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
G67P
Private First Class
Private First Class

Tank intermitently stops moving

Post by G67P » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:23 pm

I'm running Manjaro Linux and never had any major issues running BZFlag. With the latest Manjaro update I've been experiencing intermittent tank movement. I'll be moving, then all of a sudden my tank will stop moving. I then need to release the keyboard "up arrow" key and depress it again to begin moving again. That is my major complaint but another is minor and I found a work-around for it, is that when exiting the game it will not save my brightness (gamma) setting. So, to get around that, I just set the option for save settings to "NO" and edit my config.cfg file with the gamma setting I like.

Anybody experience any of these issues? Any help would be appreciated!!!

Thanks

Bullet Catcher
Captain
Captain

Re: Tank intermitently stops moving

Post by Bullet Catcher » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:04 am

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=27222 may be related to the gamma problem.

For movement, maybe there is now a time limit or a repeat limit when holding down keys. That's just a wild guess.

alfa1
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by alfa1 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:30 pm

In case you are running it from your official repository, I suggest to try compiling it locally (or even using Wine), and, then, compare the results. Pay attention to the warning messages. Sometimes repo versions have issues, and, apart, local builds always tend to run better.

I see you updated your operating system; I also suggest, in second place, to do an installation from scratch of it, better.

G67P
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by G67P » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:05 am

So, I think it's something with the NVidia driver. I ran it with nouveau driver and didn't have any issues. Then I reloaded NVidia driver and issues comes back. I also took it out of full-screen mode and maximized the window with no issues. Strange!!!

G67P
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by G67P » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:05 pm

Update....so it still happens, even with the nouveau driver. So aggravating!!!!!