Web based client

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Web based client

Post by Zehra »

I've begun writing a web based client for BZFlag with some limited success.
Some of the issues are due to limited knowledge and documentation of the protocol itself, but with sufficient time, it shall be possible to do some limited web based interactions within a web interface.

While it is highly unlikely that a full web based client will be operational, a limited "bzadmin" type of client is not far fetched and may soon be available, if fully operational, but may be limited to "local" use only to follow list server usage.
(As logins may not be forwarded.)

Based on the results, I'll either provide a summary or release of code, perhaps both, but this is yet to be determined.

-Zehra
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
WorldOfTanks23
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Web based client

Post by WorldOfTanks23 »

Are you using WebAssembly?
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

Nope.
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
jessicat
Private
Private

Post by jessicat »

hiiii ❤️ so I know this is an old thread, but depending on what your goals are and how low your standards are, you could just use bzadmin over php instead of making a unique web frontend. I **just** did something like this for Minecraft and then happened to see this thread so:

https://github.com/jessicarobo/bzfa-php

This isn't really webdev so much as linux shenanigans. Basically, you take advantage of bzadmin's "stdboth" ui option, read its input from a fifo, and send its output to a file. Then PHP reads the output file and echoes the commands you type into the input file. This is an extremely simple setup but sadly not very portable (I don't think Windows can do fifos?). I hope someone finds it useful anyway~

You probably want some kind of authentication in front of this but I think even basic http auth over SSL should be okay.
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

I like what you did with bzfa-php, as it does provide a nice and innovative way of using bzadmin. (It's not too complex and it works with pretty much any browser.)

Originally I started this thread more as an April fools joke and later I seriously considered to actually make a fully working client. (I did some research and it was possible to make it *working*, but perhaps not really playable to an extent.)

Most of what was I thought of at the time was sort of wrapping the game protocol via some server-side system and building a front-end for interfacing with it, but it didn't progress much past the drawing board. Much of the communications would have been implemented via the WebSocket protocol. Although, I did begin work in reading the BZFlag protocol for attempting to write a specification, it remains an uncompleted work in progress.

Looking back, I probably should have looked more into wrapping bzadmin. I'll probably revisit this idea sometime and integrate the work made here. :)

-Zehra

Latest 101 thread