How can I make BXFlag more Violent?

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
timtak
Private First Class
Private First Class

How can I make BXFlag more Violent?

Post by timtak »

I am at last going to do an experiment using BZflagg to test
1) What view is preferred by Japanese (and perhaps Western) players thanks to the great work of @macsforme (Thank you!).
2) Whether view preference changes, and what psychological changes are found in players, when the game is played as a completely non-Violent flag race game and as a Violent game.

At it stands, and BZFlag has been interpreted as violent by at least on school, and non-violent "Because you never see people die"

I would like any suggestions on how I could make BZFlag more violent, perhaps by
1) Changing the noise of the tank destruction explosion to the sound of explosion plus blood curdling scream. If anyone knows the name of and place of the sound file. The scream alone may be enough!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3DJ74V8fjM

2) Change the explosion animation if that is possible and exists as a file, to include some blood.
or any other kind suggestions.

Should anyone be so kind as to point me in the direction of a video or text explaining how to set up a BZFlag server with bots / as a collect flag race only (no bots) that would be great too.

Tim
Timothy Takemoto
Yamaguchi University
blast
General
General

Re: How can I make BXFlag more Violent?

Post by blast »

For ultra-violence mode:
1. Mix the explosion sound with this: https://freesound.org/people/Gemesil/sounds/523216/
2. Fill the tanks with raspberry jam.
3. Leave behind gravestones or crosses at death locations.

For non-violent mode:
Just run the server with -ms 0 to disable shooting and make sure that SteamRoller doesn't spawn. There are actually some obstacle course maps that disable shooting and the first one to the end of the course wins the round. Those are generally done as CTF with only a single team allowed to join, and your own team flags sit on an enemy base at the end of the course. So landing on the enemy base causes you to grab your own team flag and self capture your flag, killing yourself and everyone else.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

timtak
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by timtak »

Thank you @blast and you have been helpful in the past, thanks for that too.

There are a fair few screams available on YouTube and I know how to use Audacity so I think I could mix in a scream... there is boom.wav and explosion.wav
I merged a scream from http://allsoundseffects.blogspot.com/ into explosion and uploaded it to here
http://nihonbunka.com/temp/explosion.wav
But the problem is that I would need to distribute the installation to the experiment participants, I think. Otherwise I would have to bring them to a room where the game is installed. Is it difficult to repackage it as an exe file again? I see there is a compiling page here.
https://wiki.bzflag.org/Compiling
I wonder if Macsforme was so kind as to include the source files for my new version, as well as the exe.

I certainly would not know how to leave gravestones, or body parts, but as for fill the tanks with Jam, I see that there is explode1.png and explode2.png which I might be able to merge with some blood droplets. Yes, I have done that to explode1.png with some blood from here https://www.freeiconspng.com/downloadim ... e_vignette
but I think I merged the wrong row (the scream is at the end of the audio, so the blood should be also towards the end of the explosion). I have tried again with explode2.png

Do you know which (if either) is the explosion when a (bot) tank is killed?

Perhaps this would be better

Thank you also for your suggestions on how to make BZflag a non-violent race. I will have a go when Ihave a server running. I have no idea where to start. I am reading the wiki. https://wiki.bzflag.org/Creating_a_server

I wish there were a set up a server Youtube video for idiots but the YouTube videos I can see are only for players.
trpted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by trpted »

For the server, right off the bat there is some planning to do.

Such as..

#1 Are you planning on listing the server in the public server list, or a private server?

#2 Which OS are you planning to host on?

#3 Are you planning to use a config file or are you planning to use only the command?

For example of config - on Windows

"C:\Program Files (x86)\BZFlag 2.4.22\bzfs.exe" -conf "C:\Users\User Name\AppData\Local\BZFlag\server.cfg"

For example of command - on Windows

"C:\Program Files (x86)\BZFlag 2.4.22\bzfs.exe" -p 5154 -j -t -s 32 +s 16 -h

Note if you planning to use the config file, points to https://wiki.bzflag.org/Sample_conf which is the sample config for the BZFLAG server. This is called bzfs as techincally bzflag is only the client.

#4 What style of play what you like:

a) FFA (Free For All)

b) OFFA (Open Free For All).

The differnce between FFA and OFFA is that the objective is to shoot other tanks to earn points. Teams do not matter, and all tanks are allowed to shoot other tanks.

c) Rabbit Chase. In this mode, a single Rabbit is chosen by the server. All of the other players will be Hunters. The Rabbit has the opportunity to score the most points, but it is also the most vulnerable. When the Rabbit is killed, a new Rabbit is selected by the server.

d) CTF. Each team also tries to prevent the enemy team from capturing their own flag.

?

#5 Are you planning to have any Super Flags?

#6 Are you planning to have a certain or random generated maps?

#7 Are you planning to have Rotating Maps?
trpted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by trpted »

As desired, do what I do. Take the sample config file for the server. In it put a pound sign (#) in front of options that you do not enabled and likewise remove the pound sign for options that you want enabled.

You need to change the following options: public title, public IPv4 address, and the public key - only if you want to have the server publicly listed.

If you want to be able to know what IP Address an client has, ban IP Address(es), and other admin duties then you need to change the admin password.
timtak
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by timtak »

Dear Trpted

Thank you very much for your response.

#1 Are you planning on listing the server in the public server list, or a private server?
Private. If there were other people (other than the participants) coming to the game it would introduce variation or noise into the conditions.

There should be bots and a single participant (in the violent condition) and just the lone participant in the non violent version.

#2 Which OS are you planning to host on?
Windows is all I have.

#3 Are you planning to use a config file or are you planning to use only the command?
I am planning to use a config file at least because there are some special keys that change the view that macsforme added for me.

#4 What style of play what you like:
a) FFA (Free For All)

I would like it so that only one participant can enter at a time and shoot bots to earn points (in the violent version), or just move around picking up flags in the non violent condition.

> The difference between FFA and OFFA is that the objective is to shoot other tanks to earn points. Teams do not matter, and all tanks are allowed to shoot other tanks.

c) Rabbit Chase.
d) CTF. Each team also tries to prevent the enemy team from capturing their own flag.
Since there will be only one player at a time neither is appropriate.

#5 Are you planning to have any Super Flags?
The super flags can be there or not there. I think the default will be fine.

#6 Are you planning to have a certain or random generated maps?
If there are some maps that come with the game then I will just pick on simple one. It should be easy to move around and ideally both conditions should use the same map.

#7 Are you planning to have Rotating Maps?
Not unless that is the default. I think that the default will be fine.

> As desired, do what I do. Take the sample config file for the server. In it put a pound sign (#) in front of options that you do not enabled and likewise remove the pound sign for options that you want enabled.
Thank you very much. I will do that.

> You need to change the following options: public title, public IPv4 address, and the public key - only if you want to have the server publicly listed.
I want to keep the server a secret to all except the 60 or so participants that are invited to play for 20 minutes.

> If you want to be able to know what IP Address an client has, ban IP Address(es), and other admin duties then you need to change the admin password.

I think I would quite like to ban all non-Japanese IP addresses since initially I will only be doing this study in Japan.

I think that perhaps the biggest problem is that at work (my university) I may not be allowed to let people access the required port on my office computer ( what port does the server use? I am not sure what a port is) and that at home I do not have a static IP address.

Again, thanks very much. I am going to give it a go very soon.

Tim
trpted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by trpted »

timtak wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:00 am #1 Are you planning on listing the server in the public server list, or a private server?
Private. If there were other people (other than the participants) coming to the game it would introduce variation or noise into the conditions.

There should be bots and a single participant (in the violent condition) and just the lone participant in the non violent version.
Since it is a private server then do use the public title, public IPv4 address, and the public key - options.
timtak wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:00 am #2 Which OS are you planning to host on?
Windows is all I have.
I have at least one computer running Windows too. :)
timtak wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:00 am #3 Are you planning to use a config file or are you planning to use only the command?
I am planning to use a config file at least because there are some special keys that change the view that macsforme added for me.
Of best interest, I would think it is easier to use the config file rather than for ex "C:\Program Files (x86)\BZFlag 2.4.22\bzfs.exe" -p 5154 -j -t -s 32 +s 16 -h
timtak wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:00 am #4 What style of play what you like:
a) FFA (Free For All)

I would like it so that only one participant can enter at a time and shoot bots to earn points (in the violent version), or just move around picking up flags in the non violent condition.

> The difference between FFA and OFFA is that the objective is to shoot other tanks to earn points. Teams do not matter, and all tanks are allowed to shoot other tanks.

c) Rabbit Chase.
Since there will be only one player at a time neither is appropriate.
Between the options, I think set to FFA.
timtak wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:00 am #5 Are you planning to have any Super Flags?
The super flags can be there or not there. I think the default will be fine.
By default there are no flags, unless set to CTF.
timtak wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:00 am #6 Are you planning to have a certain or random generated maps?
If there are some maps that come with the game then I will just pick on simple one. It should be easy to move around and ideally both conditions should use the same map.
As far as I know by default the map is a random generated map.

As addressed in the sample config file for the server.
## World ##

# This specifies the world filename.
# Use this format for Windows
#-world "c:\mymaps\louschurchyard.bzw"
# Use this format for *nix and Mac
#-world /users/noob/lousdesktop.bzw
Remember to use -world "c:\mymaps\louschurchyard.bzw" if the map is at c:\mymaps\, remember use louschurchyard.bzw if the file name is called that, and remember to do that without the pound sign in front of that full path and file. With the pound sign in front, that certain map is not used.
timtak wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:00 am #7 Are you planning to have Rotating Maps?
Not unless that is the default. I think that the default will be fine.
Ok.
timtak wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:00 am > As desired, do what I do. Take the sample config file for the server. In it put a pound sign (#) in front of options that you do not enabled and likewise remove the pound sign for options that you want enabled.
Thank you very much. I will do that.
You are quite welcome,in my earlier post I was trying to think of the options that are in that sample config file.

Techically the bots are also players (includiing autopilot) , so keep that in mind while using the config file or command only.
timtak wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:00 am > If you want to be able to know what IP Address an client has, ban IP Address(es), and other admin duties then you need to change the admin password.

I think I would quite like to ban all non-Japanese IP addresses since initially I will only be doing this study in Japan.
Not to say that you can not do that, but this is what I know about this feature.

This kind of ban is because the clients did something bad on your server (think: swearing if you do not allow that and cheating of any kind).
timtak wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:00 am What port does the server use?
Default port is 5154. I normally forward both TCP and UDP.
timtak wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:00 am I am not sure what a port is.
There are diferent kinds of ports. Including not limited to port as in where a ship gets unloaded and loaded ( I wich I was kidding with you but sadly I am not). See REF https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_(disambiguation)

In terms of computers and networking there, there still different kinds of ports. In this case when taking about allowing users to connect to your computer from the Internet, from that REF points to Port (computer networking), a virtual data connection between computer programs.

Like by default a..

..web server runs on port 80.
..web server protected by SSL (read: HTTPS), run on port 443. Since you connected to https://forums.bzflag.org you could use https://forums.bzflag.org:443 to connect to this server.
timtak wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:00 am At home I do not have a static IP address.
That is what DDNS comes in handy.

Simple version of DNS is. I know of a company that exist and this is there anme (insert name here), what is their phone number?

Tbe first D in DDNS allows your domain name to follow your non static IP Address.

It could either be a client that runs on a normal computer behind a NAT router or a client built into the NAT router.

I saying NAT router because there are other routers that exist besides NAT routers. To explain that of best intereest, I first tell my former network layout.

a) A phone wire and a power wire from wall jack goes to power surge protector

b) A phone wire and a power wire from power surge protector goes to my Westell-F90-610015-06

c) An Ethernet wire from Westell-F90-610015-06 goes to my Linksys E4200's RJ-45 WAN/Internet/To Modem Port.

d) All of my computers are either connected to the Linksys E4200 by wire or by wireless.

Now to explain the other kind of routers that exist beyond NAT routers, I say the following things:

My Westell unit is my DSL modem. Upstream of the DSL modem is something called a NID. One side is labeled as the consumer side and the other side is labeled as the teleco (as in telephone service provider) sde. Upstream of the NID is something called a DSLAM. And finally upstream of that are routers that not NAT routers.

So my old network layout now looks more like this: Core Routers -> DSLAM -> NID -> My Westell unit -> My Linksys unit -> My computers by wire or wireless.

Since I am now on cable, as far as I understand it: Core routers -> CMTS -> Node-> Splitter-> Cable Modem -> My NAT router -> My computers.
The splitter in my case allows for TV service (and not over the net) and phone service since I also have special cable modem for telephone service sent over the same TV wire(s) that I get TV service and Internet.

Only if interested see, REF https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Router_(computing) and or Nerds 2.0.1 - A Brief History of the Internet a PBS show because the shows talks about the history of the Internet including routers and not do not do NAT.

Anyways, moving along.. :)
timtak wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:00 am I think that perhaps the biggest problem is that at work (my university) I may not be allowed to let people access the required port on my office computer.
Instead of hosting it your self you can have someone else host it for you.

There are Virtual Private Server Hosting providers that can host it for you.

I am not saying who to use in terms of Virtual Private Servers or someone else (this includes but is not limited to hosting by other BZFLAG players).
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

@Timtak

To provide an answer to some of your questions:

The server (BZFS) is by default run on port 5154.

I've provided below a few recommendations/suggestions you may wish to look into.

For BZFS, run two separate BZFS instances.
(Two servers would be runnning, one with the violent mode, the second without it.)
Choose one server to use the standard BZFS networking port.(5154)
The second server could use a number above or below it.

For the game client/BZFlag itself, maybe make two separate directories for two different "BZFlag" installations.
One installation would be used for the "violent" version, the other for the non-violent version.

(You would only need to replace the textures in the violent version, the other one can remain as is.)

Create a batch script or a program shortcut for the violent/non-violent version and maybe add in some options within the shortcut. (BZFlag can be made to automatically join a specific port and server with certain options provided to it.)

For the game distribution itself, I don't think it is that difficult. (I'm going off of memory, so please forgive me if there is any mistakes or if this does not work.)

BZFlag can be extracted from the installer with 7-zip, the installer program/file is opened with 7zip. Since everything is there, the files which need to be replaced/changed can be easily done there. The whole thing can be then archived as a ".zip" file and placed on a file hosting service for download. This way anyone can easily download it to their machine if given a link. Or you may wish to distribute it ahead of time as a ".zip" file, as BZFlag would then not need to be installed in that case.

But in any case, since BZFlag does leave a cache/config file, it also is possible to create a batch script to clear the files afterwards.

For hosting/running the maps and modes, you may wish to see about port forwarding, as that is the main thing.
For IP address and domains, I'm not entirely sure, but you may wish to use a service like freemyip.com/ or similar, but be sure to a run a test or two before the experiment, if you wish to use a remote server. (A script could run every 5 minutes or so at a set time period to make sure the domain is pointed to the correct IP address.)

-Zehra
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

timtak wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:34 amI wonder if Macsforme was so kind as to include the source files for my new version, as well as the exe.
Yes, I sent you the link to my GitHub branch for your project in a PM some time ago. If you're just replacing textures and/or sounds, you shouldn't need to rebuild for that (just replace the respective files in the data directory). However, if you need a rebuild for any reason, I'm happy to help with that again.