First person BZFLAG...plus multiplayer????

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
Joop
Private First Class
Private First Class

First person BZFLAG...plus multiplayer????

Post by Joop »

Wouldn't be awesome if there was a first person scenario part of the game....like you get to go through level with a certain number of lives and then if you die...you start from the beginning...like an adventure part of the game..

you could have:

- How many AI tanks can you destroy in one minute and if you meet the requirement you could move on to the next level

- Perform different scenarios that you would have to complete without dying

It could be like a Training Zone before you were allowed to play so there wouldn't be any major noobs, that flag carry that don't know there doing it.

it would be nice if they could put this on the new version...

Give me some feedback on what you think
COP@:
BOXY
VIPER
HEPCAT
Davy Jones
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Davy Jones »

It would certainly take the edge off multiplayer playing at the same time,

The idea in itself is good, but think about the effects this might cause

1.Less people playing on servers, less people playing on servers would lead to a decrease in server running, which would cut down on the population of Bzflag *perhaps* This would, as is logical in my brain, decrease the overall population of leagues, and more people playing first person which is not really fun at all.

Yea, your idea is great, but maybe we could make it more mutliplayeral than first person

*just my thoughts*
-Davy Jones
Owner @ The Twin Towers
Admin @ The Two Boxes
Cop @ Army Of One
Triumph of the Soul
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Triumph of the Soul »

Perhaps you could make it like Lego Star Wars. Have a story mode, but allow other players to connect and help each other. Maybe have the connections be set up over local networks.
Creator @: Duck or Die, Duck or Die CTF, Fuel Stack, Guernica, Normal, Frayed
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

I think the word your looking for is "single player" not "first person". BZFlag is already played from the first person perspective.
ImageJeffM
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

"Patches Welcome" - or in this case "a whole new playing mode welcome".

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007
Joop
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Joop »

hhahaa....your right Jeff...that was the word i couldn't think of when i made the post....hahah

yeah...a hole new playing mode...i wonder what it would be like.

Davy John...i understand what your saying too
COP@:
BOXY
VIPER
HEPCAT
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

I think it might be nice to have like a "Story Mode" where you do missons and stuff. but that would be really hard to work out someone would have to come up with missons and stuff. but also keep the online mode with servers and maps made by people.

-ducktape
Saber
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Saber »

There could be three server lists. The first one would have some tutorial servers for new players. The second list could have missions so new players can play alone or togheter and use what they learned on the first list to complete missions like capture the enemies flag 3 times in five minutes or kill 10 enemies in 2 minutes. The third server list would be the list we have now. I think it will be way better for new players and if you aren't a new player you can just start by the second or third list.

Saber
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

Well I was thinking more along the lines of a story mode that didnt need internet. so that you could play with out internet. but idk..
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

BZFlag is a network based game. So in any case, it's going to be either connecting to a remote server (tutorial based servers are sort of half-invisioned for the next big version of BZFlag), or firing up a local server automatically.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Zelgadis
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zelgadis »

yep, jeff is in right :)
Want to improve your skill? Join the http://guleague.org!
Joop
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Joop »

cool, good to know
COP@:
BOXY
VIPER
HEPCAT
the_j0k3r
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by the_j0k3r »

yeah, this could be done using patches, be a lot of work though. i dont know how they would feel about including it in the game as part of the download

ive already been working on a tactical training server that is designed to be single player, its like dodging sprays of bullets and stuff.

cool idea though
Davy Jones
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Davy Jones »

has anyone checked out 'Bzflag olympics, Tank driving 101'?

It is kind of First person, but then again you can race other players, If this is what you are talking about, then it would not require a major client mod, just the server having some cool features
Owner @ The Twin Towers
Admin @ The Two Boxes
Cop @ Army Of One
the_j0k3r
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by the_j0k3r »

yes, but it would be nice to really work with the story mode idea, for instance when you reach certain parts of the map you get a srvmsg telling you something like lvl 1 complete - time: 51 seconds, and a physics driver kills you and you spawn at the next level, or you enter the next level through a teleporter.
though i have a feeling i am begining to talk something really complicated to put into practice
meeba
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by meeba »

the_j0k3r wrote:yes, but it would be nice to really work with the story mode idea, for instance when you reach certain parts of the map you get a srvmsg telling you something like lvl 1 complete - time: 51 seconds, and a physics driver kills you and you spawn at the next level, or you enter the next level through a teleporter.
though i have a feeling i am begining to talk something really complicated to put into practice
We sort of have this. BZFlag Olympics - Tank Driving 101.

Definitely a fun (randomization, I believe) server to play on.
Joop
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Joop »

the_j0k3r wrote:yes, but it would be nice to really work with the story mode idea, for instance when you reach certain parts of the map you get a srvmsg telling you something like lvl 1 complete - time: 51 seconds, and a physics driver kills you and you spawn at the next level, or you enter the next level through a teleporter.
I like your idea joker....that was what i was thinking the whole time
COP@:
BOXY
VIPER
HEPCAT
bzflaginator
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by bzflaginator »

It would be a cool spin off of bzflag but the fact that you would have to use bots is definitely a draw back because the AI of bots is most definitely not up to par with the skills of most players.

(Wishful thinking:)
Would be cool to have a more simplified version of bzedit with prefabricated objects so you could design your own map in the game as you can do on many video games today, and play it without the need for a server host.
"He that falls in love with himself will have no rivals."
Joop
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Joop »

yeah....they make bzedit so hard to use....i have created a couple maps...but i always have to have someone host them for me...it would be nice to play them ourselves...

that was another good idea
COP@:
BOXY
VIPER
HEPCAT
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Rover Blaster wrote:yeah....they make bzedit so hard to use....i have created a couple maps...but i always have to have someone host them for me...it would be nice to play them ourselves...

that was another good idea
You think BZEdit is hard to use? Wow, you don't want to try Blender then.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Hannibal
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Hannibal »

BZE is stupidly simple. Anyone with any amount of mouse control can use it. There are functions in the toolbar that allow for dragging a box/pyr to the proper size and position. Even though they aren't very precise, with a bit of work, they can be used well.
Games don't make people violent, lag does.
ImageImage
bzflaginator
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by bzflaginator »

It is not hard to use it...just very time consuming. And it is frustrating trying to scale everything to the correct sizes.
"He that falls in love with himself will have no rivals."
Joop
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Joop »

exactly my point :D
COP@:
BOXY
VIPER
HEPCAT
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

you'd have to do that in game as well. No software can magically figure out how to place things.

in blender you can group and copy and paste stuff around, it can be much easier then bzedit.

bzedit was made because there wasn't anything else out there.
ImageJeffM
Joop
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Joop »

yyeah i guess so.....i leave map building to the experts :D
COP@:
BOXY
VIPER
HEPCAT