Flags in CTF

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

the "lack of CTF" in a CTF server is an age old problem... I blame it on the fact that there are alot of massive 1 color vs 1 color servers.

Hepcat, Overlord, LaserMania, BoxyWars, you name it... When you get 20+ players on each team, things are going to be massively skewed and helter-skelter.

I play frequently, on Hepcat and Overlord. I never touch the team flags, unless I'm near them. I Simply play to kill the other team as much as possible. due to the large amount of players, its not worth my hassle or headache, to deal with my team. I"m in the game for fun. Been in this game for fun for a long while. in a 10vs10, there's always some one else to carry the flag.

My job? Provide the best cover the flag bearer will ever get, by simply killing anything around me that moves.

There are some that think, the problem is a greater focus on personal points. They offer the solution, that the flag capper, should get personal points for capping the flag, or that the points should be distributed to the team.

You're using the motivation of personal points. You're not fixing the root problem, just masking the symptoms. Bad medicine. Its the ostrich with his head in the sand mentality. And people team-killing, just to cap the flag is a straw-man logic. As has been posed before, do we have teamkilling to grab the geno flag?

I personally believe there needs to be a shift change in the style of CTF. Enough of these huge 10vs10 battles. Honestly, Hepcat becomes boring, along with overlord. Laser sniping isn't my cup of tea either. Hepcat is just a frag fest for me, not CTF. The shift of change needs to bring back multiple smaller teams. 4 team, or even 3 teams. Smaller tighter nit teams, that have to work together, to survive. I don't need my teamates in hepcat. They'll do their thing, I'll do mine. There is only 1 enemy. He's only going to shoot at 1 other color.

But if you have 3 other colors, what will happen then? who will shoot whom? what team will declare truce with another team? Variety, its the spice of life. The CTF servers/maps in bzflag, are sorely lacking that.

As for Flags in CTF? meh, There is no "YES" or "NO" As longhair put it. its all about configuration, server settings, and maps. You can't say yes or no.
Beware! I'm going to clone myself and spread those clones all over the world!
CUPCAKE
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CUPCAKE »

Saber: Yes I have played capture the bacon on Boxy wars, only once. I never did capture that purple flag, so I never noticed that you get points for it.
slime
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by slime »

Ive always thought a seperate spot in your score to show how many flags you've captured would be a good idea...kinda like how it shows how many tk's you've had.
Davy Jones
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Davy Jones »

JeffM2501 wrote:plug-ins on 2.0.x can not set the player scores.
It could possibly be done by adding a patch to the source code?
Owner @ The Twin Towers
Admin @ The Two Boxes
Cop @ Army Of One
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

no. it's a client problem.
the bug has been fixed in 2.1.
ImageJeffM
Red Cobra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Red Cobra »

I think in the next version we should change the amount of points you get on cap. Maybe like geno? Or you get a standard 5 to 10 points per cap, I dont know. I'll leave it up to the devs. Just an idea.