how do i get the /identify and /register command enabled?

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
big_daddy2
Private First Class
Private First Class

how do i get the /identify and /register command enabled?

Post by big_daddy2 »

how do u get the /identify and /register command enabled on my server?

is it in the config?

ty big_daddy2
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: how do i get the /identify and /register command enabled

Post by Grace F »

big_daddy2 wrote:how do u get the /identify and /register command enabled on my server?
Do you mean on a server you made? Or 1 from the server list? eg. Badgerkings or Planet Mofo.

I've never had to use the "/identify" or "/register" before.
big_daddy2
Private First Class
Private First Class

i mean on a server i made

Post by big_daddy2 »

for a server i made

you get this /identify from a server when u put in hte wrong pass and
that name is registered

i need this command on my server because somethies there is a player that needs the /identify (password) and/or /register (password)
temporal distraction
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by temporal distraction »

The old /register and /identify are superseded by the global identify system. It would be much better if they were not used. Those command were retired because they send the password in clear text and can be captured by server logs.

If your player really needs to use them for some reason, you can use the -passdb and -userdb files locally

Code: Select all

-passdb /pathto/passwordfile.txt
-userdb /pathto/username.txt
The server will make the files if they don't exist, and append to them when they do.

Be SURE to tell all the users in the -srvmsg that this password will be compromised and is not safe. Something like this:

-srvmsg "| IF YOU ARE NOT GLOBALLY REGISTERED, USE THE FOLLOWING COMMANDS |"
-srvmsg "| /register your pw                ---> FOR REGISTER             |"
-srvmsg "| /identify your pw                ---> TO LOGIN                 |"
-srvmsg "| /setpass your pw                 ---> FOR PW-CHANGE            |"
-srvmsg "|            THIS PASSWORD WILL BE SENT IN CLEAR TEXT            |"
-srvmsg "|           DON'T USE THIS PASSWORD FOR ANYTHING ELSE            |"
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

Using -userdb is a good idea anyway, so you can use /setgroup. I agree that -passdb isn't a great idea, though... just use the global registration system if you can.
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

Constitution wrote:Using -userdb is a good idea anyway.
eh? '-groupdb' is the one you want.

------------

The best way to do things nowadays is to, first of all, register for global groups in this thread: http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?t=2660 and then use a -groupdb file.

This way you can easily regulate the groups across multiple servers, and encourage use of the global system. There is also no fiddling about with /identify and /register.

This is an example of a groups file. I'll use my registered groups as en example. And remember the EVERYONE ad VERIFIED groups too. VERIFIED users are globally registered players that don't belong to any other groups listed in your groupdb. EVERYONE includes non-registered players.

my groups are spazzy.cops and spazzy.admins

EVERYONE: TALK SPAWN LAGSTATS IDLESTATS

VERIFIED: TALK SPAWN VOTE LAGSTATS IDLESTATS SAY

spazzy.admins: ALL -hideAdmin -FLAGMOD -SHUTDOWNSERVER -SUPERKILL -SETPASSWORD

spazzy.cops: TALK SPAWN KICK SHORTBAN REJOIN MUTE UNMUTE SAY LAGSTATS KILL antiban antideregister antikick antikill antipoll antipollban antipollkick antipollkill
And that file is all bzfs needs to know.

To gain full permissions, as the server owner, I would use the /password .

Some servers remove the TALK (and on some SPAWN) privelages from everyone, to encourage global registration.
Last edited by Spazzy McGee on Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
dango
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dango »

with a user DB you can make unidentified people have to identify if its a red'd name, without a user DB there would be no '-' sign next to unidentified players, so impersonation could be a prob.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

me1 wrote:with a user DB you can make unidentified people have to identify if its a red'd name, without a user DB there would be no '-' sign next to unidentified players, so impersonation could be a prob.
Actually, you're wrong. If you have a public server, any player that joins as a registered name, but is not identified, will show the - by their name. You don't have to have a userdb or groupdb for the + or - signs to show by their name.

I don't use a userdb on my server all all, as that is only useful for local groups. I only use global groups on my server, and thus, only a groupdb.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)