Own Music

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
Master Kenobi
Private First Class
Private First Class

Own Music

Post by Master Kenobi »

H all again, I know I have quite a few posts but that is because I am new to the forums. Another question. Can you add your own Music to the game? I have some good songs that I would like to play :D
Peter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Peter »

Well if you want that then all you have to do is play them on your computer and then start up BZFlag.

NOTE: If you use itunes then sometimes this can make your BZFlag FPS (frames per second) go way down.
“Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF, all of my base are belong to you.” ~ Nerd on Colour
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

There was a itunes plug-in for bzflag. I dont have a link. I think Win XP knows about it. Pm him.
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

ducktape wrote:There was a itunes plug-in for bzflag. I dont have a link. I think Win XP knows about it. Pm him.
The patch was made by slayer++ and is Mac OS X only.
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

I have never experienced a drop in FPS due to iTunes.
On OS X, you can use SizzlingKeys to easily control iTunes.

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007
Peter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Peter »

Probably because when I experience the FPS drop I was on windows and on a 3 year old laptop :D , but I think it could still happen I guess.
“Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF, all of my base are belong to you.” ~ Nerd on Colour
asciimonster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by asciimonster »

In the old days of gaming, game music vs. performance was a big problem. The solution that many chose, including Screamer (they wrote an entire 3D engine in assembly language, no 3D card necessary!), was to run it off a CD. It would directly bypass the CPU.

I think it wouldn't be too hard to make a plugin that would throw command at the CD player. Like so:
- Enter Menu: Start playing track #1
- Spawn: Start playing random track (+ set repeat=on?)
- Exit programme: stop CD player
CDR-s nowadays cost 2c a pop (exaggerating a bit, but you get you get the point), so that's nothing lost there. If you run bz off a bootable CD you can use the extra space for music tracks.

Only problem: I have no idea how to write a plugin or how to steer a CD player. :(
Peter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Peter »

I HAVE A SCREAMER CD! I remember it now , I think i'll dig it out. BZFlag would be ok as a CD , but since it is a none-profitable game I don't think that it would be able to have the money spent on it to be made into CD's(I mean like being made in a CD factory or somthing). Good idea though. I think someone did make a flash disk for BZFlag though?
TD-Linux
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by TD-Linux »

I believe what asciimonster meant was running BZFlag off a bootable Linux CD.

The best way, IMHO, would be to use the music player of your choice while playing BZFlag. If you have a dual-core processor, you will see no slowdown at all, unless you are using some nasty software audio mixer.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

TD-Linux wrote:I believe what asciimonster meant was running BZFlag off a bootable Linux CD.

The best way, IMHO, would be to use the music player of your choice while playing BZFlag. If you have a dual-core processor, you will see no slowdown at all, unless you are using some nasty software audio mixer.
No, asciimonster was referring to old games (like the mentioned Screamer game) that used Red Book audio. As he mentioned, it bypassed the CPU since it simply played the audio CD data directly from the CD drive to the sound card via the analog audio connector.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

guyfawkes_usa
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by guyfawkes_usa »

How about just getting an ipod, boombox, or something else and putting headphones in it and listen to it while you play?