a point to bz?

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
User avatar
Ratatosk
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 277
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:04 am
Location: Chicago, IL

a point to bz?

Post by Ratatosk » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:44 am

im not saying its a bad game but you really arent accomplishing anything by grabbing flags and shooting, i mean there is no way to win a game unless there is a limit
Courage is the magic that turns dreams into reality.
Image

User avatar
joevano
General
General
Posts: 1863
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2005 1:08 pm
Location: South Bend, Indiana, USA

Post by joevano » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:47 am

That is a problem with kids today... not everything is about winning. It's about having fun and how you play the game. You just aren't mature enough to get it yet...

User avatar
The Frog Master
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:29 am
Location: Somewhere in the vicinity of betelgeuse

Post by The Frog Master » Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:58 am

Yea, you dont have to win to have fun, I'm normally down the bottom of the list and I have a great time.
Ummmm, yea, errrrrr, hi, hey, is this thing on??
Probably not, oh well, ahhhh, wellll, the thing is... ahh tarnation, who cares.

User avatar
Tedius
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 142
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:10 pm
Contact:

Post by Tedius » Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:12 am

Fair enough, Murtagh, you don't see the point of playing the game. Lets open the question to everyone:

Why do you play bz?
this signature intentionally left blank

User avatar
macsforme
General
General
Posts: 2024
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:43 am

Post by macsforme » Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:23 am

Tedius wrote:Fair enough, Murtagh, you don't see the point of playing the game. Lets open the question to everyone:

Why do you play bz?
http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?t=9831

Legolas_
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 513
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:24 pm

Post by Legolas_ » Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:37 am

It is not why, the question is, 'Why not?'

User avatar
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 978
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:29 pm
Location: Adelaide, AUSTRALIA

Post by Grace F » Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:12 am

It's neither, I believe the question to be.... Do you enjoy BZFlag?

There's more than 'grabbing flags and shooting' in the land of BZ. It's alot more interactive than other games, ex. Making your own maps.
Image
Image

User avatar
chicken fingers
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:19 pm

Post by chicken fingers » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:43 am

look there are so many other levels to "grab a flag and shoot" besides thats not it u can jump get cool flgas kill so many people that everyone hates you. yiu can talk to friends you make maybe if you played youd like it and on the other hand if you don't like it why did u register??

P.S. if that your dog corgis are awsome!!!
Image

User avatar
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 978
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:29 pm
Location: Adelaide, AUSTRALIA

Post by Grace F » Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:13 pm

chicken fingers wrote: look there are so many other levels to "grab a flag and shoot" besides thats not it u can jump get cool flgas kill so many people that everyone hates you. yiu can talk to friends you make maybe if you played youd like it and on the other hand if you don't like it why did u register??

Kill people that hate you? Isn't really a 'good' BZFlag trait :P Though, anger is a scary common factor in BZFlag! I know....I've been on the recieving end of it :shock:
chicken fingers wrote:P.S. if that your dog corgis are awsome!!!
What does that mean? :?
Image
Image

User avatar
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy
Posts: 2381
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:27 am
Location: Ottawa eh?
Contact:

Post by Winny » Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:33 pm

One of the nice things about BZFlag is you can play for 12 minutes... or 12 houirs as I have done.


The game is set up so you can have fun no matter what you are doing, you don't need retarded story plots that take up 1/2 of your time *cough* super paper mario*cough*.

If you want that, you could write up some sort of patch, but meh (doubt it would be accepted, anyways.). I think that if that's what your looking for in a game, go somewhere else.

User avatar
blast
General
General
Posts: 4750
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2003 3:49 pm
Location: playing.cxx
Contact:

Post by blast » Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:02 pm

STORYLINE: You have a tank that shoots balls of light. Everyone dies. The end.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Image

User avatar
Master Kenobi
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:58 am
Location: Somewhere on the West Coast

Post by Master Kenobi » Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:56 pm

blast wrote:STORYLINE: You have a tank that shoots balls of light. Everyone dies. The end.


Blast, I like this quote. It is so imformative! lol!
But maybe if you are not enjoying the game tell a friend about it and maybe you will play against eachother, and since you have been playing for a while, you will beat him!!!! So if you don't like this game, try to play something else, like World of Warcraft or Runescape. :lol-old:
Star Wars Rocks your Socks, and so does Bzflag. :-{) (Mustache)

Image

User avatar
Ratatosk
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 277
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:04 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Post by Ratatosk » Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:00 pm

donny_baker wrote:That is a problem with kids today... not everything is about winning. It's about having fun and how you play the game. You just aren't mature enough to get it yet...
not true... i rarely win and still think its fun. All im saying is that your team or you enemys team never win... one just puls ahead untill one is so far behind that everyone leaves. It would be more significant if eventually a winner was established and a new game could begin
Courage is the magic that turns dreams into reality.
Image

User avatar
AAA
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2004 3:36 pm
Contact:

Post by AAA » Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:01 pm

It's about teamwork, and having fun.
If you are in a league, it is about winning (1vs1 league here).

What is wrong with super paper Mario? Though I do say, the original Paper Mario and it's sequel was better.

Could it be possible to turn BZFlag into an RPG?
You get HP, stats, and upgrades in the form of access to flags.
You just need some way to load worlds without re-joining.
Admin and Senior Vice Executive Administrator of Network and System Architecture @ BZFX -- Core Admin @ CAN -- SF.net user diamondmagic -- irc.freenode.net nickname AAA_awright (#bzfx if not #bzflag)

User avatar
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy
Posts: 2381
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:27 am
Location: Ottawa eh?
Contact:

Post by Winny » Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:02 pm

Murtagh wrote:
donny_baker wrote:That is a problem with kids today... not everything is about winning. It's about having fun and how you play the game. You just aren't mature enough to get it yet...
not true... i rarely win and still think its fun. All im saying is that your team or you enemys team never win... one just puls ahead untill one is so far behind that everyone leaves. It would be more significant if eventually a winner was established and a new game could begin
Go join a league.

www.gu.bzleague.com
http://my.bzflag.org/league/

Probably others too, just these are more active...GU being the most active.

EDIT: Doh! AAA beat me to it.

User avatar
joevano
General
General
Posts: 1863
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2005 1:08 pm
Location: South Bend, Indiana, USA

Post by joevano » Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:03 pm

Murtagh wrote:not true... i rarely win and still think its fun. All im saying is that your team or you enemys team never win... one just puls ahead untill one is so far behind that everyone leaves. It would be more significant if eventually a winner was established and a new game could begin
Hmmm... sounds like real life.... people pull ahead, people fall back... everything has it's ups and downs... no one ever really wins....

User avatar
Teppic
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 575
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:00 pm
Location: The North Block
Contact:

Post by Teppic » Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:44 pm

donny_baker wrote:no one ever really wins....
+1 Insightful

User avatar
chicken fingers
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:19 pm

Post by chicken fingers » Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:52 pm

murogh if you don't liek the game why did u register i think thats pretty wierd.
Image

User avatar
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy
Posts: 2381
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:27 am
Location: Ottawa eh?
Contact:

Post by Winny » Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:54 pm

chicken fingers wrote:murogh if you don't liek the game why did u register i think thats pretty wierd.
Woot for not reading the first post!
Murtagh wrote:im not saying its a bad game

User avatar
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 978
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:29 pm
Location: Adelaide, AUSTRALIA

Post by Grace F » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:27 pm

AAA wrote:Could it be possible to turn BZFlag into an RPG?
You get HP, stats, and upgrades in the form of access to flags.
You just need some way to load worlds without re-joining.
Possible, but there aren't many games like BZ around, so it's good the way it is.
Image
Image

User avatar
Ratatosk
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 277
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:04 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Post by Ratatosk » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:47 pm

donny_baker wrote:
Murtagh wrote:not true... i rarely win and still think its fun. All im saying is that your team or you enemys team never win... one just puls ahead untill one is so far behind that everyone leaves. It would be more significant if eventually a winner was established and a new game could begin
Hmmm... sounds like real life.... people pull ahead, people fall back... everything has it's ups and downs... no one ever really wins....
mmmm so bz is a metaphor?
Courage is the magic that turns dreams into reality.
Image

User avatar
QuantumBeep
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 117
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:03 am
Location: Planet Mofo
Contact:

Post by QuantumBeep » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:03 am

If you play Capture the Flag games, the point is more visible. You want your team to have more points than their team.

If playing seems random and pointless to you, try some of the "elitist" games, like GamesUnited (GU) or Hepcat. Those offer a *much* greater challenge than, say, The Passion of the Free For All.
Save the trees, wipe your butt with an owl.
If catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults.



Proud member of the Mofo Cabal<br>
<br>
OK thats ENUTH OUTA YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - smartkid

User avatar
Ratatosk
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 277
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:04 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Post by Ratatosk » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:15 pm

yes i understand the points and everything...BUT IT NEVER ENDS! no one wins the game just continues into the future and still has an undecided winner.
Courage is the magic that turns dreams into reality.
Image

User avatar
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 987
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2002 6:21 am
Contact:

Post by The Red Baron » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:41 pm

Murtagh wrote:yes i understand the points and everything...BUT IT NEVER ENDS! no one wins the game just continues into the future and still has an undecided winner.
welcome to the point of all multi-player FPS games.
Beware! I'm going to clone myself and spread those clones all over the world!

User avatar
joevano
General
General
Posts: 1863
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2005 1:08 pm
Location: South Bend, Indiana, USA

Post by joevano » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:49 pm

Murtagh wrote:yes i understand the points and everything...BUT IT NEVER ENDS! no one wins the game just continues into the future and still has an undecided winner.
Obviously you haven't understood my point, or any of the others here. There are no winners or losers when playing on public servers like mofo, norang, tadd's, etc. You just come and go, in the game, as you have time. There is ebb and flow, ups and downs, no one really wins, no one really loses...

If there were set times when you joined and ended (read LEAGUES), then there can be winners and losers, but not when you come and go as you please.

All of these points have been presented above, and everyone seems to agree with them but you . :)
Last edited by joevano on Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply