map and world clarification

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
freebird1963
Private First Class
Private First Class

map and world clarification

Post by freebird1963 »

I have gone thru docs and sites and didn't find what I was looking for or may have cruised over it but..

What is the difference between maps and worlds ?
and how do you load maps ?
I know you use -world to load worlds.

I have maps in one directory called MAPS and worlds in WORLDS in the bzflag directory.

also is there a command to have the server load a different one on each start up or when a game is won ?

Thanks for the help
Mark
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

There is no difference between maps and worlds, they are synonyms for the same thing.

As you point out, you use -world <path> to load the map with BZFS, then you can connect to it with the main BZFlag client.

When you talk about changing the map each game, you're talking about what is commonly known as a rotation. Search the forums and wiki for 'map rotation' for more information.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
freebird1963
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by freebird1963 »

Hello
THanks. Still not comprehending something.
I tried to load a map file with bzfs.exe -world "c:\maps\bzflag.map" thru bzfs however came back with worlds have a bzw ending or something like that. Sorry forget the exact way it was on the screen.
I have no problem with bzfs.exe -world "c:\maps\bzflag.bzw"

None of there are anything I have done but download from the site or lind off the site. The bzw seem to load w/o any issue but can't do a thing with .map.

Will do a search for 'map rotation' .

THanks very much.

Mark
Hannibal
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Hannibal »

freebird1963 wrote:I tried to load a map file with bzfs.exe -world "c:\maps\bzflag.map" thru bzfs however came back with worlds have a bzw ending or something like that. Sorry forget the exact way it was on the screen.
I have no problem with bzfs.exe -world "c:\maps\bzflag.bzw"
I think thats because bzfs doesnt recognize files with a .map suffix. BZW stands for 'BZ World', and just tells bzfs that it is a bz map file. So you can simply stick a .bzw extension on there and it should work.
Games don't make people violent, lag does.
ImageImage
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

It would only be a warning if you ran a world file ending in .map, and the server would still run. World files are just plain text. We try to recommend the use of .bzw to make it somewhat of a standard.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

it is possible that the file you saved with a .map extension is not in plain text format.
Make sure your text editor is set to save files in plaintext, not richtext, or any other format. This means that the editor saves only the text of the file, with no extra formatting data. It's better to use notepad to read your maps, do not use microsoft word.
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
the_j0k3r
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by the_j0k3r »

I have gotten error messages like those before, if the command prompt screen stays up don't worry about it, your server is still running and it should be fine. I came up with the error in particular because when i saved it, even though i saved it as map.bzw, it was really map.bzw.txt, it was just that windows, being, well, windows, hid the extension, so i couldn't tell.