Why Play?

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
MrApathyCream
Dev Wizard
Dev Wizard

Why Play?

Post by MrApathyCream »

Being as you have an account here, you should be able to answer both questions, unless like me, you won't spring any green to actually pay for games. But here goes: From time to time you play different games:

Q1: Why do you choose to play UT, Quake, Tomb Raider, or whatever your game of choice is, over BZFlag, when you decide to do so?

Q2: Why do you choose to play BZFlag over UT, Quake, Tomb Raider or whatever your game of choice is, when you choose to do so?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

Tomb Raider isn't online man. :)
ImageJeffM
MrApathyCream
Dev Wizard
Dev Wizard

Post by MrApathyCream »

Patlabor221 wrote:Tomb Raider isn't online man. :)
OK, i was under the impression that people play games for a reason, unrelated to whether on line or not, but fair enough, strike it and add your fav mp game
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

multiplayer is a big selling point for games. Look at Quake 3, it's online only, has no real "gameplay" but people play it by the masses :)

I'd also like to know what people play, FFA or CTF, or Rabbit
ImageJeffM
Grumbler
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by Grumbler »

q1 - when i become bored with the maps, frustrated with the servers, or disappointed with the antics going on between players.

q2 - its free, i enjoy blowing up tanks, and you can get bored with any game after awhile.
.........you kids, get out of my tank...........
rr
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by rr »

q1: This is pretty much the only online game I play. Other than this I'll play console games with friends, much easier to have everything in one system than transport a bunch of computers to the same place. Plus Mario Party and Smash Brothers can not be touched for sheer simplistic game play fun(Chu Chu Rocket gets a very honorable mention with the only downside being the horrible Dreamcast controller necessary to play it).

q2: Free is a big selling point, plus I've played it enough that I can embarass most people out there and really piss people off if I choose to do so. Cheaters add some nice antics to the game (and are usually pretty nice if you actually talk to them instead of trying to get them to leave by insulting their mothers) and 90% of the players are immature enough that its easy to play some really fun mind games with them, especially those that take the game seriously for some uknown reason. I rarely play for the sole purpose of blowing up tanks or achieving some kind of record breaking score, but more as some kind of sociological experiment.
Rebel Chikorita

Post by Rebel Chikorita »

q1 - i've played many of those First-Person-Shooter computer games since my boyfriend was into that stuff so he introduced mee to them . most FPS games seem the same too mee . they're gory an too graphically violent . blood everywhere , guts and body parts flying , cussing and cursing , an skeery , bleh (playing Doom or Diablo gives mee nitemares)
those games make mee dizzy , an give mee headaches too if i play for more than 15 minutes . plus those games usually have complicate controls an come wif a 200 page instruction book... bleh

q2 - i play BZflag becuz itz fun . itz free . an itz simple... an itz not nauseating , to mee at least . the controls are easy to learn an itz relatively easy to get started ; yet it still takes alot of skill , experience , tactics and strategy if u ever want to become a good player(esp. on a ricochet game server) . it doesn't require u to read a big manual or to spend countless hours of your life playing it , as with role-playing games .
what it lacks in fancy graphics it makes up in basic fun . it has great gameplay and nice features for a game that only takes up @3megs on your computer . an being a multiplayer net game is one of the best things about it . you get to play people from all over the world :) and chat wif them too . u may even learn a thing or two from playing BZflag :)
i also believe that BZflag is not stagnanting . it has alot of potential and room to improve . itz an open source game available on many different platforms(not many games out there offer that). and offers different kinds of game types ; such as FFA , CTF , HTF , Team FFA , rabbithunt , an soon ther will be bot tanks .
basic , simple , free , an universally fun gameplay is alwayz appealing an one of the fundamental reason why BZflag is still popular an alive today . and why it will continue to draw new people into playing it...

BTW ...u may wonder what the storyline is for BZflag? da story is DESTROY DA ENEMY TANK - THE END
(an maybee rescue da organic pickle princess who is trapped in an underground prison jar but posesses the cure to the biologically mutating virus that was spread by da demonic undead genetically engineered alien tomato army so that she can help the infected cyborg ambassador who is the only one who can negotiate a truce with the android worlds and possibly forge an alliance and save the galaxy from evil blah blah blah...)

heh ;)
widowmaker
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by widowmaker »

q1: I don't play any other games :D

q2: See question one.
slippy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by slippy »

1) sometimes play UT for a bit of variation, but generally don't play games (except BZ and UT of course :). I've just started getting back into BZ after a long break - always forget just how good it is for an OS game
2) I like to blow up tanks and there's less gore..... Apart from that the peeps are generally nicer in BZ (smaller user group = get to know more peeps)
megachirops
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by megachirops »

1) Have you ever tried Freelancer!
2) it's quick, easy and there's always someone playing
"When in doubt, quit"
MrApathyCream
Dev Wizard
Dev Wizard

Why Play?

Post by MrApathyCream »

Thanks folks for the replies, I'm a huge BZ fan, so understand what i'm asking, I'd really like you to be critical as to why you play other MP games over BZFlag. Obviously there's always the round-robin effect that you go thru to keep things fresh, but who can detail why they want to play mp online games other than BZFlag? Thanks. what is it that draws you to them?
SGI
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SGI »

MrApathyCream wrote:
Thanks folks for the replies, I'm a huge BZ fan, so understand what i'm asking, I'd really like you to be critical as to why you play other MP games over BZFlag.
There is other games.......
ski
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ski »

i play BZ because its free, simple, addicting and I like most of the people who play there...heh
Rest In Peace Vivek
1986-2005 :(

------------------------------
Member of DUB

Visit: Image
Death Barrel
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Death Barrel »

i play BZ cause it is my favorite game, i have made some close friends, and some really smart friends who know how to do a lot of cool stuff. I also play BZ cause i am a team leader. You can't make a team like this for most games!
And i am good at it :)
Noodleroni
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Noodleroni »

Q1: Other multiplayer games? Anyone for Pong?

Q2: Like I've said in other posts, I like BZFlag because of its fakeyness; where else do tanks fly? :-)
oblomov
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by oblomov »

sn0w_kitty wrote:BTW ...u may wonder what the storyline is for BZflag? da story is DESTROY DA ENEMY TANK - THE END
(an maybee rescue da organic pickle princess who is trapped in an underground prison jar but posesses the cure to the biologically mutating virus that was spread by da demonic undead genetically engineered alien tomato army so that she can help the infected cyborg ambassador who is the only one who can negotiate a truce with the android worlds and possibly forge an alliance and save the galaxy from evil blah blah blah...)

heh ;)
ROTFL What a way to mock up all those FPS!

You made my day!
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

because the skill to develop is endless. I'm tired of today's "AI"

it is artificial and is limited. bzflag you can never dominate, well unless you are capn, bamf, or kono.
Beware! I'm going to clone myself and spread those clones all over the world!
Death Barrel
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Death Barrel »

ha!! i can take those two out with a bROken mouse finger!

hehe
Last edited by Death Barrel on Mon Dec 08, 2003 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

what the heck is a "borken"???

and what two? there is three!

thanksgiving hang-over BB?
:lol-old:
Death Barrel
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Death Barrel »

don't know the third "kono" :D >>> private! lol
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

dude, you are still as wacky and crazy as ever BB!!

roflol
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

wow allready off topic on the second page, I think this is a new record for ya all :)
ImageJeffM
DTRemenak
General
General

Post by DTRemenak »

Patlabor: what about http://bzbb.bzflag.org/viewtopic.php?t= ... sc&start=0
...which switches topics TWICE (three times?) in the FIRST page...

Wait, this is even more offtopic...see what you did! :)
Rebel Chikorita

Post by Rebel Chikorita »

lol DTR
Noodleroni wrote:..Like I've said in other posts, I like BZFlag because of its fakeyness; where else do tanks fly? :-)

u can see a good pic of a flying/jumping/leaping/wuteva tank here : http://ist.baat.dk/ist_championship/
it looks like itz real too...

i think sum1 should start a new topic under Forum-Images to display any pix of "flying" tanks dat they can find on da web ;)
Red Baron wrote:...bzflag you can never dominate, well unless you are capn, bamf, or kono.
hmm , i think y o y o x (an sum1 named "little chocolate footballs") should belong on dat list too ;)
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

nah, i can beat y o y o x. sometimes. we have a running challenge.