The bunny game....

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
his blind ambition
Private First Class
Private First Class

The bunny game....

Post by his blind ambition »

The bunny game is quite fun. Having played it a few days, I offer the following observations.

The "bunny" status is generally assigned to the highest scorer who is alive, and typically rotates among the top 2 or 3 scorers. This causes a few basic effects:

1. There is a kind of Reaganomics at work. If you're the bunny, it's easier to rack up points, because there's a lot more tanks to shoot at. So the folks with a lot of points are the bunny, and they rack up more points because they are. The rich get richer, the poor get poorer.

2. Since being the bunny is desirable, and some tanks never get to be the bunny, there is a large incentive for tanks with negative points to sign off and sign back on again.

3. The number of tanks signing on (see #2 above) causes the tanks in the negatives to go into a deep hole which they can never get out of.

To avoid these problems, I suggest adding a few additional methods of bunny-assignment (settable on the server), including:

1) Shooter becomes the bunny.

2) Random

3) Basic rotation.

- HBA

PS. Yes, I know, it's not "bunny"
his blind ambition
Private First Class
Private First Class

Oh yeah, and another thing...

Post by his blind ambition »

The newbs will catch on a *lot* quicker if the non-bunnies are some color other than black (which means "shoot me" in FFA). How about blue, red, purple or green?
widowmaker
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by widowmaker »

Those sound really good. There are so many people that sign on and just start shooting at everyone and I agree with number one even though I am the one with all the points. It makes the game a little too one sided
SGI
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SGI »

widowmaker wrote:
There are so many people that sign on and just start shooting at everyone
Probably 90 % are newbie and they dont know the "wabbit" game.....
You can help these newbies just telling in what consist the "Hunting the wabbit" and I think another idea...more then one "wabbit" after 10 "Hunters".
widowmaker
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by widowmaker »

One more rabbit after 6 hunters would be good. Maybe make the rabbits a team???
SGI
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SGI »

No the wabbit a team...noooo.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Actually, it's fun being chased around by 15 hunters. :D
widowmaker wrote:There are so many people that sign on and just start shooting at everyone
Let's make the hunters blaze orange. :wink:
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

widowmaker
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by widowmaker »

I personally like having everyone against me (even if there are 20 people playing). Blaze orange would definately take care of the tk problem :D
MrApathyCream
Dev Wizard
Dev Wizard

Re: Oh yeah, and another thing...

Post by MrApathyCream »

his blind ambition wrote:The newbs will catch on a *lot* quicker if the non-bunnies are some color other than black (which means "shoot me" in FFA). How about blue, red, purple or green?
A valid point, however I kinda like the good vs. evil mantra of white and black tanks. Hopefully as time goes on, this tk problem won't be an issue. As for Rabbit Selection, it seems that high scoring players should be rewarded, altho i guess the disconnect/reconnect thing is a 'problem'. There was some talk of keeping old players scores around to reassign on rejoin.Maybe the shooter should get some bias added to his score when selection happens. Currently, BTW, the rules are

1) You can't be rabbit twice in a row
2) You can only be selected rabbit if you are alive when the new one is picked
3) The player with the highest (wins * (wins - losses))
Tankless
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tankless »

Those are all good ideas. Might I suggest also that the rabbit have stealth properties as well as the properties of other flags he/she might pick up.