1.10.3 beta builds

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

1.10.3 beta builds

Post by JeffM »

I have made a testing build for the current Dev version 1.10.3 ( prerelese for 1.10.4 )

it has a number of changes, but it is compatable with 1.10 and 1.10.2.

The bigest thing you'll probably see is the graphical changes. Most of the textures did change. Tanks now get team textures instead of just a bland recolor. Bases are now textured. The grass got it's res updated. And hunters in rabbit mode now show up in orange and say "hunter" instead of rogue. And the tank model was tweaked ever so slightly.

This topic shows some screen shots
http://bzbb.bzflag.org/viewtopic.php?t=1324

The windows installer can be downloaded here.
http://jeffm.bakadigital.com/BZ/10.3/bz ... 3.14.1.exe

high res version
http://jeffm.bakadigital.com/BZ/10.3/bz ... gh_res.exe

The system now supports high res textures too
I've made a testing high res texture pack.
it's here
http://jeffm.bakadigital.com/BZ/10.3/alternate.zip

just unzip it into data\alternate in your install dir

as allways there may be bugs, as it hasn't been tested by non developers that much.
Last edited by JeffM on Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageJeffM
bamf.
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by bamf. »

Ahh, thanks! I've been waiting for a win32 compile with the orange hunter fix.
It's a good idea to always carry two sacks of something when you walk around. That way, if anybody says: Hey, can you give me a hand? You can say: Sorry, got these sacks.
Death Barrel
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Death Barrel »

wow super cool, i really like the camo and the better textures :)!! i will give it a shot!
Grumbler
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by Grumbler »

the alternate zip file has the "rouge" tank......should that file name be changed or is that just so it matches the existing code?
.........you kids, get out of my tank...........
ski
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ski »

Awsome awsome awsome!!

Nice work!

THANKS!!!
Rest In Peace Vivek
1986-2005 :(

------------------------------
Member of DUB

Visit: Image
bamf.
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by bamf. »

I noticed the pyramids are not textured, just the standard blue, like in low detail. Otherwise, I love it. The grass is great, it almost feels like you're going faster!
It's a good idea to always carry two sacks of something when you walk around. That way, if anybody says: Hey, can you give me a hand? You can say: Sorry, got these sacks.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

pryamids are textured, it's just a bad texture, very low contrast. it needs tweaking. Same for the roof texture.

the alternate texture archive has been updated with the fixed rogue tank.

the ground repeat was increased, so yes it will seem like you go faster, as you will wizz by more ground texels per sec now
ImageJeffM
Death Barrel
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Death Barrel »

excellent! i always did like tank speed set to 500+ lol

DB
ski
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ski »

heh, yeah, that may take some time to get used to...lol
Rest In Peace Vivek

Member of DUB

Grumbler
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by Grumbler »

to anyone who has downloaded the alternate textures previously, Pat has been updating them since the original post.
trepan
Dev Wizard
Dev Wizard

Post by trepan »

I think that the pyramids are without texture
because there is a typo in the code. Just copy
pyrwall.png to prywall.png and it should fix the
problem, until the code has been remedied.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

yes there was a bad in the code, CVS has been fixed I will do a new build tonight post likely, and also post a high res installer that will install the alternate data by default.

On a clarification, the tank speed has not been increased, it just looks like you go faster cus more ground texels go past you. The speed is the same as it ever was, what ever the server is set to.
ImageJeffM
ski
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ski »

just got to play this ne version a bit more and got to say it is really good! thanks again~~~!!!
Rest In Peace Vivek

Member of DUB

JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

the installer has been updated
http://jeffm.bakadigital.com/BZ/10.3/bz ... 3.14.1.exe

also a version that installs the high res textures is located at
http://jeffm.bakadigital.com/BZ/10.3/bz ... gh_res.exe
ImageJeffM
Grumbler
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by Grumbler »

I noted a bug, I think.

I was on xmission last night, and when I would pick up a team flag, it would have a bunch of garbage characters after it. As I would change radar settings the garbage characters would change as well. Also, even though I was <70ms, and so were many others, many of my bullets were going through tanks.

Now obviously, this could be a bug with the server xmission is running, someone running a cheat client, etc, etc......but I thought I would put it here and see if anyone else is seeing anything.

fyi, i like the new textures, my only complaint is that the floors/ceilings are REALLY bright.....I am almost at my lowest brightness settting, and the tanks are beginning to disappear :(
bamf.
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by bamf. »

One other thing, not sure if actually effects anything. But, when I fire off the executable (bzflag), the last line reads:

cannot load texture: tank

This is for both the verions (normal and high res versions).
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

the birghtness of the roof texture is still being tweaked, since the colors now need to be put into the texture images, I have to rebuild the texture images, so it takes some trys to get it right :)

you can the can't find tank texture warning is ok, it's a holdover from the old way of doing textures. It's removed in current CVS. it won't affect the game in any way tho.
ImageJeffM
Burned Account -CNG-
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Burned Account -CNG- »

when someone gets burrow you cant see there tank(on radar) but yuou can see their flag moving on radar
Do not enable this account with out admin aproval
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

yes that is a design feature.
ImageJeffM
CapN
Private First Class
Private First Class

Bullet Color

Post by CapN »

Hey Pat,

New graphics look great, the grass, buildings, walls etc.!!! Great Job!! Now I just need to get use to so many different versions in such a short time. You know how the elderly are.....they don't adapt well to change. :wink:

I have just one thought on the bullet color though. The bullets are now harder to see when the shooting tank is coming straight at you. The bullets blend in with the tank that shoots them. Once the shooting tank veers to one side you can pick them up. Obviously they are easy to see on radar, I mean the view out the window, on screen. Maybe all bullets should be some generic color, black etc. , or some color that we currently dont have as a tank color.

Thanks to everyone who has worked on the changes!!

-CapN-
Chestal
Dev Guru
Dev Guru

Re: Bullet Color

Post by Chestal »

CapN wrote:The bullets are now harder to see when the shooting tank is coming straight at you. The bullets blend in with the tank that shoots them.
Can you be more specific on this one? bamf (or was it someone else?) also complained about this. But AFAIK nothing has really changed in the rendering of shots. Of course the newest version now has different tank textures, but I don't think you are referring to that?

It is not the depth buffer problem where shots and tanks are sometimes drawn in wrong order? Please check that depth buffer is activated.

Otherwise, try to describe the difference to 1.7, best would be screenshots (F5 in 1.10, wth 1.7 you'd have to find some external means fo rit).
SGI
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SGI »

Guy this is a great ...its like a real camuflage for tank......
The texture it was great and the bullets are clear (green and red for what I saw).
The bases texture is cool....
I never fund any bug for now but I'll let you know.
Thank you for your great work
bamf.
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by bamf. »

Capn is referring to the high res version, I played with both and noticed the shots blending with the tank on the high res version only. I was on ducati and on the green team, so I only noticed this looking at the red tanks. Perhaps it's because the red tanks seem much brighter in the high res version, just a guess.

Chestal, the problem I first has was the depth buffer was set to off in version 1.10.1. That cleared up once I set it to on.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

the shots arn't difrent in the high res version, they are teh same shots as before just renamed to new images.
ImageJeffM
Death Barrel
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Death Barrel »

hmmm, everytime i try to download the file it times out, says it cannot be found... any suggestions pat? i tried the updated link also.

DB