Strange Hack

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
*Boinkage*!
Private First Class
Private First Class

Strange Hack

Post by *Boinkage*! »

I've noticed a strange hack that a player has been using under several aliases (not naming names right now, unless an admin or someone says it's okay to.)
It involves somehow bypassing a spam filter and sending a gargantuan quantity of text or just blank lines, basically wiping out a player's chatting function .You can silence the player, however. It also seems to be including walking outside game boundries, instant reloading, flag giving, walking through walls, flying, being invulnerable, etc.
I'm just wondering if anyone else has noticed this hack. It happened at BloodBath a few hours ago.
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Strange Hack

Post by Bambino »

Yes, I experienced the same thing on a few servers also, I would make sure I had my chat log then it would just go clear. Very strange. I remember NightMare doing a similar thing, it would go blank then he would add *Cleared* at the bottom of the chat log in his "special" /me.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

That message issue was fixed in 2.0.13 code (v2_0branch SVN code). Servers should update to that.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

tktech
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by tktech »

Yeah my bad guys, the server will be updated and restarted soon.
Moto Unit
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Moto Unit »

Has anyone on the other servers encountered another hack which takes over the poll banning function to auto execute a poll ban then ban numerous players. This happens at an incredibly fast rate...so fast you can't disable or veto the ban function. Moto Unit
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Yeah, that is a NightMare/Sk3letr0n favorite. It is easy for the server owner to defend against, as the hack requires local registration to work. They just need to disable local registration by removing the -userdb from their configuration.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln