Robot Mode

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
jweeks
Private First Class
Private First Class

Robot Mode

Post by jweeks »

How do I activate the robot / solo mode on a Windows 98 system running 1.10.4? (I don't know anything about how to do that on any other versions of BZflag so don't answer me by saying.....It is like all the other versions.) I know about the -solo # parameter. Is there a way to activate the robots on the client side? If not, how do I activate the robots on the server side?

Thank you!
larsl
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by larsl »

-solo # is how you activate the bots. There are no bots on the server side.
jweeks
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by jweeks »

larsl wrote:-solo # is how you activate the bots. There are no bots on the server side.
Thank you for you response but I must be stupid because I already knew that and I can't get it to work. Where do I type in the -solo # command?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

in the command line
there are 2 ways

1) open a command prompt (MS-DOS prompt, on windows 9x/ME), CD to the dir where bzflag is, and type bzflag -solo #

2) make a shortcut to bzflag, right click it, go to properties, add -solo # to the Target line. Add it at the end, after any quotes ("). Then run that shortcut.

an example of the shortcut line for 10 bots would be
"C:\Program Files\BZFlag1.10.4\bzflag.exe" -solo 10
ImageJeffM
oblomov
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by oblomov »

It would be nice if there was to set up the number of bots from the GUI, though. And I will take the change to stress that it would also be nice to let the bots behave like they had Autopilot on ...
[dmp]
Captain
Captain

Post by [dmp] »

and it would be nice to have autopilot free servers too. Playing against bot isnt any fun for most of us. I'd rather play newbies that wasting time with robots.

I really dont understand what this feature is for.
I don't need huge pictures here.
Rebel Chikorita

Post by Rebel Chikorita »

oblomov wrote:..And I will take the change to stress that it would also be nice to let the bots behave like they had Autopilot on ...

i tho bz bots used da same "A.I." dat da autopilot used?.. i not sure...

i like autopilot i think itz kewl :)
u can stil control da firing , while da autopilot duz da driving... itz fun for casual play or wen u hafta leave ur puter 4 jus a sec to get a soda or sumtin an u dunt wanna leave ur team 1 tank short (if no1 else iz waitin to play ;)
autopilot playz betta than mee sumtimes! O.O
oblomov
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by oblomov »

Last time I checked I had the distinct impression that bots didn't use the same AI as autopilot. To see the difference, I launched multiple version of BZFlag and autopiloted all of them but one; I also threw some bots in, and I could tell without ID which bots where bots and which bots where autopilots. Totally different playing style.

As for the utility of autopilot: well, it's an interesting example in AI, it's useful if you have to quickly leave the keyboard for a short time without leaving the game ...
larsl
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by larsl »

They don't use the same AI.
Rebel Chikorita

Post by Rebel Chikorita »

o okies