helvbi.png and helvbr.png

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
jweeks
Private First Class
Private First Class

helvbi.png and helvbr.png

Post by jweeks »

Is there a way to make these two .png font tables look better? On my Windows version of BZFlag 1.10.4, it is impossible to read these fonts unless there is a very dark background. I have tried it on several different computers, all with different video cards, and the same problem occurs. This was not a problem when they were .rgb and I don't remember this being a problem on 1.9.9.

Thank you.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

the fonts didn't change, they are the same images, just difrent formats, PNGs are compressed. Save the old fonts out from gimp as no compression PNG and use them.

oh and rgb hasn't been used since 1.7gx, all the 1.9.x versions and later have used png.
ImageJeffM
larsl
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by larsl »

I think the problem is that the background isn't shaded when you're in the menu as it used to be in earlier versions. I'm not sure why it isn't.
jweeks
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by jweeks »

Patlabor221 wrote:the fonts didn't change, they are the same images, just difrent formats, PNGs are compressed. Save the old fonts out from gimp as no compression PNG and use them.

oh and rgb hasn't been used since 1.7gx, all the 1.9.x versions and later have used png.
I appeciate the information but that doesn't really answer my question. Maybe my question was bad.

So, why do the fonts look bad on my computer and on every other computer I have tried? I have no clue how to "Save the old fonts out from gimp as no compression PNG and use them."

Thanks for the help.
jweeks
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by jweeks »

larsl wrote:I think the problem is that the background isn't shaded when you're in the menu as it used to be in earlier versions. I'm not sure why it isn't.

Ahhhh, so maybe there is a design flaw?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

you probably have difrent hud gui setings, play with your hud size, if you go all the way to the right it makes it transperant.

the Hud was not intentionaly changed for 1.10.anything.

you said the fonts looked better as the RGB files, the only diference between them and the PNG files is the format. So perhaps it's not the fonts and one of your settings.

Perhaps providing more info, like say screenshots would help.
ImageJeffM
jweeks
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by jweeks »

Patlabor221 wrote:Perhaps providing more info, like say screenshots would help.
You requested it so here are two screenshots of two of the help screens. You should notice that the font is almost unreadable with the blue sky as a background and even with a darker background it is still unacceptable.

I find this to be very annoying.
Attachments
controls.jpg
(193.23 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
jweeks
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by jweeks »

Here is the second attachment.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

wow yeah that does look like crap, dosn't look that way for me.

can you take a picture of your "options" page so I can see how your set, and try to dupe it. Maybe something changed with blending.

Thanks.

I am looking into redoing the font system for 1.11, as it's crufty as hell right now.
ImageJeffM
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Also, I noticed he is using software rendering. Does that have something to do with it?
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

larsl
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by larsl »

No, I use the nVidia drivers and I see the same thing.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

it could be blending, that is why I want to see the setings. bending and smothing affect the textures the fonts use.

so an options page shot, and the screen res running.

could also be interp issues.

but by far, One should NOT be running the high res pack on a GDI rendering system, that's just asking for pain.
ImageJeffM
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Hmm...noticed it looks bad on mine too. I'm running at 1024x768 @ 32 bit. Graphic settings all on/maxed except for shadows.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

what card/chipset

and why shadows off?
ImageJeffM
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

ok got it duped, it mostly has to do with screen res, since BZ scales the fonts it gets jacked up at some scales. So it's not the images.

not much I can do for 1.10.4 but definaly in 1.11 it'll all be changing.
ImageJeffM
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

GeForce FX 5200 PCI

The shadows are off just because of personal preference. Also, I found that the problem with the screen not dimming is located in SceneRenderer.cxx.

Line 573:

Code: Select all

bool doFog = LocalPlayer::getMyTank() && (LocalPlayer::getMyTank()->getTeam() != ObserverTeam);
That sets doFog equal to false when you are in the menu. Then, further down, we have this:
Line :

if (!doFog || (reallyUseFogHack && (teleporterProximity > 0.0f || useDimming)))
    glDisable(GL_FOG);
Because the doFog is false, it make this turn off the fog. This then prevents it from showing a dimmed background. A 1.10.3 build I have didn't have the doFog variable, and it displayed the background dimmed, as expected. Hard coding the doFog variable as true seems to have fixed the problem.

jweeks
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by jweeks »

blast wrote:Hard coding the doFog variable as true seems to have fixed the problem.
How would I hard code the doFog variable as true?

I am looking forward to seeing your BZFlagXL version. When will it be ready?
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

On line 573 of SceneRenderer.cxx, I changed it to:

bool doFog = true;
As far as BZFlag XL, I not really sure when it will be done. College is picking up the pace now, and I'll start to get more and more homework.

jweeks
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by jweeks »

blast wrote:As far as BZFlag XL, I not really sure when it will be done. College is picking up the pace now, and I'll start to get more and more homework.
Thank you.

What makes your version different than the "official" BZFlag?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

blast, if you wana submit a patch for that, I'll get somone to put it into the 1.10.4 maint branch.
ImageJeffM
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

ahh I see the bug now, it was busted when we made it so observers didn't get teleporter fog.

so forcing it will break that.

I will work up a solution.
ImageJeffM
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

In SceneRenderer.cxx, I replaced this code:

Line 573:

bool doFog = LocalPlayer::getMyTank() && (LocalPlayer::getMyTank()->getTeam() != ObserverTeam);
With this code:

bool doFog = true;
  if (LocalPlayer::getMyTank() && LocalPlayer::getMyTank()->getTeam() == ObserverTeam)
	doFog = false;
It seems to work like you wanted it to. Does this fix it? If so, I just made a patch that I'll try to post tomorrow. (going to bed right now ;))

JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

yup that's the exact fix I came up with too :)

it's a simple enought change, no need for a patch, I'll put it in the maint branch and head.

good catch on finding it.
ImageJeffM
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Well, I just found that the fix above still doesn't totally solve the problem. When you are an observer, the menu still displays wrong. So I removed all mention of doFog and instead focused on the teleporterProximity.

Notice this code, just below where doFog was defined:

// turn on fog for teleporter blindness if close to a teleporter
    float teleporterProximity = 0.0f;
    if (!blank && LocalPlayer::getMyTank())
      teleporterProximity = LocalPlayer::getMyTank()->getTeleporterProximity();
I modified that to look like:

// turn on fog for teleporter blindness if close to a teleporter
    float teleporterProximity = 0.0f;
    if (!blank && LocalPlayer::getMyTank() && LocalPlayer::getMyTank()->getTeam() != ObserverTeam)
      teleporterProximity = LocalPlayer::getMyTank()->getTeleporterProximity();

JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

ahh I like that better.
ImageJeffM