Control Panel

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
jweeks
Private First Class
Private First Class

Control Panel

Post by jweeks »

Why doesn't the official version of BZFlag have a nice control panel like BZFlagX?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

Because the BZFlagX guy dosn't submit any code or patches, to the comunity.
ImageJeffM
[dmp]
Captain
Captain

Post by [dmp] »

Isnt that a violation of the license? Modifying the code, and not making it available?
I don't need huge pictures here.
jweeks
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by jweeks »

[dmp] wrote:Isnt that a violation of the license? Modifying the code, and not making it available?
Maybe it is a violation but there are no software police. Maybe the guy who has done the BZFlagX version has been labeled as a "cheater" by the official BZFlag developers.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

actuly they make the code avalible so there is usualy no violation. Tim makes sure of that GPL viloators are notified and most often they just don't know they have to provide source, and they do.

Jweeks, yes there are software police, and they will prosecute people who break GPL.

We don't have time to go thru all the little branches. If you want to turn some of the stuff into a patch and submit it on SF, it'll go thru the normal feature review process.

I only know of 2 branches called bzflagX, one was reallly old, and another was just an OSX port. Now if your talking about BZFlag XL, then no, he was not called "cheater", he just didn't seem to want to submit patches or work with the mainline. You would want to bring that up with him, not us. I know the XL project is just tweaks to stuff and not a cheat.

Most branchers seem to want "credit" for there code. And it's their decision to contribute or not, for what ever reason they wish.

Generaly the only time "cheat" is mentioned, is when somone wants to change gameplay, but does not want to make it incompatable with current versions. If gameplay is changed, it's generaly considerd good form to change the protocol version so that only the changed version can play with it's own changed versions, so that everyone has the same features. If it's made compatable, then some people will have the gameplay features and some won't, that is efectivly a cheat for those who do not have the changes. Graphical and non game related changes generaly do not affect gameplay so making those changes compatable usualy isn't a problem, This is what BZflagXL did.
ImageJeffM
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

In the 1.7 versions of BZFlag XL, I really didn't find that any of my changes were worth putting into the main code. Right now I'm working on a 1.10.4 version of XL, and I plan to provide patches for the changes. Some of the changes I've already made include a smooth zoom on the binoculars and a few extra server commands.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

cool, we do go thu the patches and apply the ones that we can get tim to aprove to the mainline.
ImageJeffM