Judas Flag - bad flag or good flag?

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
SportChick
Private First Class
Private First Class

Judas Flag - bad flag or good flag?

Post by SportChick »

I recently proposed (and TimRiker approved) the "Judas Flag". The flag functions like this:
When it is run over, the player who has it is immediately switched to another team:
- if he is playing as a rogue, he is randomly assigned to a team
- if he is on a team, he is randomly assigned to a different team
- if he is playing rabbit, he becomes a second bunny (if he was a hunter)

The tank is now on that new team, as a real player for that team, for as long as he/she holds the flag. In theory, the player should die if he teamkills (shoots someone on his NEW team), but not if he shoots someone on his old team.

There are a number of coding issues that the dev team is working on, but here's the question - do you think it should be a good flag or bad flag?
Last edited by SportChick on Mon Jun 07, 2004 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noodleroni
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Noodleroni »

Good flag! w00!
toaster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by toaster »

Sounds fun for rabbit mode, would be a good flag, unless rabbit picks it up.

IMHO:

This would be a bad and good flag in ctf. I'd probably run to the enemy (my new team) home base with it anytime I picked it up, drop it, and steal their flag. In ffa, perhaps a different story because you don't necessarily feel like part of a team sometimes in ffa. However, I get enough accidental tks as it is. 4 out of 60 kills the other day! This would certainly add to the confusion.

Interface issue: If it's going to be there as a flag, there needs to be a better way to mark colors. Sorry, folks, but some *very* thin borders and a bit of text in the upper corner of the screen that indicate your team color just aren't enough, especially if you're going to be switching teams. Need a better way to indicate for those of us that are already pretty info-loaded in the heat of the play, keep us from getting info-overloaded if you want us effective. I might not even notice that i picked up the flag if someone's shooting at me and i'm dodging and watching radar.

Just MHO.
-toaster
"So there I was, all alone, facing all of the enemy. I started driving in circles, until I had them surrounded, and then I escaped in the confusion."
SportChick
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SportChick »

Toaster, Yeah there are a few things that need to be worked out...like what if rabbit gets it. However, you just focused on one of the things that is the whole point of judas -- how closely do you pay attention to what's going on around you. If you don't notice you've picked it up and the settings on the server work properly for it, you die if you kill one of your new teammates.

I can see how it could be used strategically in ctf, too (of course, it depends on whether you get shot on the way to pick up the team flag or not).
Last edited by SportChick on Mon Jun 07, 2004 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Defman
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Defman »

another vote for good flag.....

am just thingking of the havoc I could spread with that one!!!
skater3000blink
Private First Class
Private First Class

Judas Flag

Post by skater3000blink »

The Judas Flag is a tough decision whether it should be a good flag or a bad flag, Depending on what style of bzflag is being played. If playing Rabbit Hunt it should be a bad flag, as everyone will be after you and the other rabbit. For capture the flag and Free For All it should be a good flag, as you could be on a losing team and then could pick up the flag and be on the winnning team.
skater3000blink
Texan
Private
Private

Judas flag

Post by Texan »

Will you be able to drop it at will and, say, shoot somebody who's team you were just on? Or will it be more like PZ when zoned?

Either way, I say good flag. Maybe a little less if you can't drop it at will.
toaster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by toaster »

Pondering more on this since the thread's been touched again. In rabbit mode, I think it would be a "good" flag. After all, you're surrounded by potential enemies as a hunter. So you get the flag, you start shooting. If you're rabbit, and you get the flag, it's kind of like phantom zone - some folks get the pz flag and then go hide inside a block for a while. There's no real advantage to having the flag as a rabbit, unless it happens to help you sneak out of a tough situation.
-toaster
"So there I was, all alone, facing all of the enemy. I started driving in circles, until I had them surrounded, and then I escaped in the confusion."