Strayers bzstats

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
Zac
Private First Class
Private First Class

Strayers bzstats

Post by Zac »

im confused about the callsign changing program that is on strayers, how does it work? does it update the callsign change as soon as you do it on the bz forums or do you have to actually play bz with that callsign for it to recognise the change???
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Re: Strayers bzstats

Post by optic delusion »

When you change your callsign here on the bzbb forum, your BZID does not change. BZID is a unique number assigned when a player registers, and it does not change. Game servers actually use the BZID number to identify you, not the callsign.
On strayer.de..... If i'm looking at the same thing you are, the "callsign changing program that is on strayers" is the web-login that uses BZID, it's been around since at least 2007. It uses official BZFlag servers to identify you. Ir's essentially the same thing as game-server login, except it uses a web interface.
It is completely secure, and you should use your regular BZ callsign and password to login at strayers. If you changed your callsign here, you'll need to use the new one there... The old callsign is gone.

I'm guessing that since webstats does use BZID to identify you, it should instantly pick up the change. But I doubt that it goes back in time and changes previously recorded data on the website.
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
strayer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Re: Strayers bzstats

Post by strayer »

Optic Delusion is right. :)

@Zac
I just want to add something about callsigns and global accounts on BZstats...
There are three completely independent parts that might be interesting for you:

(a) The server and player statistics
Since the game servers do not send the global bzIDs when you do an ordinary server and player request, all the normal stats depend on the callsigns only.

(b) The BZBB statistics
You can find information about BZBB accounts in the section "BZinfo > BZBB members" and in the player profiles (as a short info line). These information are gathered once a day and are imported with a delay of one or two days. (The delay depends on some circumstances.) The association of the collected BZBB data and the player profiles (see (a)) is just a "guessing".

(c) The BZstats login
This works as described by Optic Delusion. Whenever you log in via the "My.BZFlag.org Login" page, your BZstats account's player name gets an update if you changed it. It can also be updated if there is a change recognized within the BZBB data (see (b)).
A pessimist is an optimist with experience... ;o)