Random Terrain for "Hide and Seek Hills" maps.

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
Enigma
Private First Class
Private First Class

Random Terrain for "Hide and Seek Hills" maps.

Post by Enigma »

For an undergraduate thesis, I was looking into random terrain generation with fractal Brownian Motion. However, I abandoned the idea because I didn't think it would be worthwhile. I actually still have books on fractals from the library that are probably a month overdue o_O.

Anyways, I'm not sure if this would be of interest to anyone, but I thought it might be interesting to use this technique to generate random "Hide and Seek Hills" style maps. It might give people a somewhat "new" experience every time they play on the server.

The generated terrain looks very nice, and there are some variables to control how the terrain is generated. However, I haven't looked into this in-depth. I might do this when I have more time, because right now I hardly have enough.

http://software.intel.com/en-us/article ... an-motion/
Mark_IV
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Random Terrain for "Hide and Seek Hills" maps.

Post by Mark_IV »

Very nice. The one with small bump[s rather than hills would be great if tanks could drive over things that aren't flat.
Cobra_Fast
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by Cobra_Fast »

Thanks for sharing this one. I'm sure it could be useful for some map scenarios.
mrapple
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by mrapple »

The only downside I might see is the map file would eventually get so large it would take forever to download.

Also only some clients could handle a map of that size and detail ;)

Looks cool though :D