Some questions about 2.99. (Third person view and robots)

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
Yrogirg
Private First Class
Private First Class

Some questions about 2.99. (Third person view and robots)

Post by Yrogirg »

Somewhere (~ 3 years ago) in this forums it was said that one could compile bzflag (at least 3.0) with third person view, just some flags during compilation should be set. However ./configure --help doesn't tell anything about it. Has this feature remained till nowadays?

And another question. Is it already possible to write more or less advanced lua/python bots in 2.99?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Re: Some questions about 2.99. (Third person view and robots

Post by JeffM »

you don't compile bz for third person, there are bzdb vars you set in your local config file ( your local runtime settings) that move the camera up and behind the tank. When you do you loose the ability to see ST tanks in the 3d view.

3rdPersonCam
3rdPersonCamXYOffset
3rdPersonCamZOffset
3rdPersonCamTargetMult

Also note the server can forbid the use of the third person camera with the variable _forbid3rdPersonCam
ImageJeffM
Yrogirg
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Yrogirg »

>Also note the server can forbid the use of the third person camera with the variable _forbid3rdPersonCam

Is that default setting? I couldn't play with "set 3rdPersonCam 1" in my config file on any server online --- I only had blank screen (it's color was pretty nice btw).
Yrogirg
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Yrogirg »

lol, with _jumpVelocity 0 if I die I get kicked in 2.99. While exploding I achieve higher altitude then I could while alive.

And I can't turn off lightning --- even if it set to None it is still there.

I've run my own server and yet I couldn't use third person view --- blank screen.
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Right... 2.99 is pre-alpha and definitely is buggy
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

you need to set more then just the one variable. I do not recall the specifics but the other vars represent how far the camera is moved back, and where the target point of the view is.

The feature is highly experimental and not intended for general use, that's why there is no interface to turn it on.
ImageJeffM