what is LAG ??

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
toaster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by toaster »

To provide a good comparison of latency between satellite and landline, going across the Atlantic Ocean from the USA to Europe, a satellite uplink can add up to three times the distance, or more, depending on the orbital height of the satellite. Transmission latency for a satellite connection can reach 1500 ms while a transAtlantic fiber can show latency under 200ms. We won't even go into queue latency in the equipment itself.

A satellite up/downlink in the boonies to a local operator gets you higher bandwidth, but as PatLabor points out, you're still SOL. What you are looking for is round-trip packet transit times versus bandwidth, once you get your bandwidth above the 56k modem rate. You might even experience less lag on a 56k modem than on a satlink. You're not transmitting or receiving that awfully much data, you're looking for quick communications to/from the server.

Compare the small pipe to your kitchen faucet and it's turn-on time (measure from open the faucet till water comes out) versus a mile-long water main just being turned on. Takes the water a couple of minutes to get through there, even though it's a bigger pipe.
-toaster
"So there I was, all alone, facing all of the enemy. I started driving in circles, until I had them surrounded, and then I escaped in the confusion."
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

I think a sat is a full 1000ms to it's gateway minimum, where DSL/cable is about 8ms to the gateway.

that's horible.
ImageJeffM
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

I think we've all said all that can be said on this topic and we are all drifting.. so..
ImageJeffM