Ziggurat - unable to spawn

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
Bullet Magnet
Private First Class
Private First Class

Ziggurat - unable to spawn

Post by Bullet Magnet »

Hi fellow BZ Flaggers

Recent problem I've encountered is the inability to spawn on the Ziggurat server... has anyone else experienced this? - I've been able to get on about 2 or 3 times in the last week - otherwise I just get the map, no other players visible and inability to join the game properly...

I can still, however spawn into other games on my server list OK.....

I'm in the UK but have fibre optic so speed isn't the problem... as it may have been in previous years!

... anyone any ideas?

Thanks

BM
blast
General
General

Re: Ziggurat - unable to spawn

Post by blast »

You're probably caught in a host ban. Contact the owner of the server.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Bullet Magnet
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bullet Magnet »

Thanks Blast...

After 10 years of playing this game you'd have thought I'd know how to contact the server owner... but I don't!

Where would I find the email for contact?

Thanks!
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Send a PM to supra7 here on the forums. Mention that you would like to be whitelisted due to being caught in a host ban.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Bullet Magnet
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bullet Magnet »

Many thanks Blast... will do!
Beardy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Beardy »

I've experienced the same spawn problem, but than between a server and several other computers on a LAN. It happens often, but not always.

In other words: in my case it does not seem to be connected to any kind of banning/blacklisting.

I've got no real idea yet what it is causing though.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Beardy wrote:I've experienced the same spawn problem, but than between a server and several other computers on a LAN. It happens often, but not always.

In other words: in my case it does not seem to be connected to any kind of banning/blacklisting.

I've got no real idea yet what it is causing though.
Your case could have been using too many flags. If you're using Windows for the server, it doesn't take many flags to fill up the send buffer and cause connections to drop.

Beardy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Beardy »

Wouldn't a dropped connection not be mentioned to the player ? All the client(s) shows is the standard 'press "I" to ...' message, which it than does not respond to.

Another thing: when I tried to capture-and-log the servers TCP/IP and UDP messages the problem suddenly disappeared. When I disabled the logging part (nothing got written to disk) the problem re-appeared. That seems to signify that the problem is related to the timing of those messages.

I must say that the problem never seems to show itself when used on a standard random world, but only when I try to run user-created worlds (I previously saved).
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Right, it gets IN to the server, but then the server drops the connection when it tries to send the flags, so your client sits there waiting. Again, THAT problem is that it's filling up buffers. We do not throttle the data in 2.0.x or 2.4.x. The 2.99.x/3.x code handles this differently/better. Just host on a Linux system, not a Windows system. You'll get better results.

Beardy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Beardy »

In other words: If I tell 2.4.0 to wait a bit between sending blocks of flag-info the problem should be solved ? That can't be, otherwise you guys would have done that long ago ...
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

We had that fixed in the 2.99.x code years ago, but that part of the code wasn't stable enough to backport when we did 2.4. And doing that now might require client modifications, which would have to wait for a future major release (like 2.6 or 3.0). Not sure how invasive the network changes were.

Dr. Tyrell
Private
Private

Post by Dr. Tyrell »

pfff, Zig needs to reduce settings, GM is way too powerful.
This map needs some work, agreed?