Game Rankings

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
Sniper752
Private First Class
Private First Class

Game Rankings

Post by Sniper752 »

so I see a few ways that this might not be a good idea, but I figured it would be better to think out loud.

I have seen the ranking page for tanks that are currently online, but I can never see myself because I am playing and not online. I would like to have a rankings page that caches my rankings for a few minutes after I'm done playing so I can read them. What I think would be even neater would be to have an all-time rankings page, where it keeps track of kills, killed, flag captures, tk's, ect. for all the registered players. Basically a way to see how good you are and how you can improve (maybe by who you can contact to ask questions, ect.)
Like I said, Might not be a good idea, or if it is, might not be possible (or at least very hard to do)
Thoughts?
Sorry if this is OT.

Sniper752
[center]::|:|::|Sniper752|::|:|::
Map Maker
Avid Airsofter
Owner: Hosting.BZAddict.net ports 5242 and 5243
Admin: bzsupreme.webarts.bc.ca[/center]
joevano
General
General

Re: Game Rankings

Post by joevano »

Easily gamed and unreliable. I could set up a server with tons of bots and a huge SW and get to the top of the list eventually, above all the other idiots doing the same thing!
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
Sniper752
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Sniper752 »

:doh: Well,... not what I was thinking of, but I knew there was an obvious answer for why not... thanks ;)
[center]::|:|::|Sniper752|::|:|::
Map Maker
Avid Airsofter
Owner: Hosting.BZAddict.net ports 5242 and 5243
Admin: bzsupreme.webarts.bc.ca[/center]
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

We used to have a stats system that tracked player scores by querying the game servers, but it got to be ... pointless..

http://web.archive.org/web/201011061206 ... rstats.php
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

I_Died_Once
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by I_Died_Once »

Let me think out loud too... It would probably be a lot of work for a small means, but how about to restore this feature - make the server smarter. Have bzfs not report kills in the same manner when both players are on the same IP, when a player is a robot-player with the solo option on their clients, or if a player goes auto. Server must be public with a valid key for any kills to qualify - funky scoring rules might not apply towards these stats (info might be sent before any special scoring API takes place...?) Would probably require most work than its worth. Code in a couple of pre-requisites for certain kill to go public...
...This has been a recording.