Open letter from Bzflag.norang.ca

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
joevano
General
General

Open letter from Bzflag.norang.ca

Post by joevano »

It is with mixed emotions that I am writing this message.

On Jan 31, 2005 the bzflag.norang.ca bzflag server logged its first message and today (2012/12/31) it will log its last. These have been an amazing 8 years of fun, camaraderie and competition. Many things have happen during that time. Thumper started on a single machine using his cable internet, and at it's height it grew to 3 servers hosting close to 80 maps and 88 admins. At times, we commanded the entire first page of the server list. We have hosted many great maps and lots of not so great ones, but the constant thing that kept us going was you the players. I will always have great memories of the full maps on Lou Man's LaserMania, Lou Man's Island Hopping, the great races on Olympic, and of course the epic rabbit hunts on the various versions of Fox Burrow. Without you we could not have continued this long.

Thumper and I would like to thank you for your support and dedication over the years. You will still see us around, but just playing and supporting other people's servers.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
I_Died_Once
Special Forces
Special Forces

Re: Open letter from Bzflag.norang.ca

Post by I_Died_Once »

Thumper, joevano, and norang in general - you may be gone but will never be forgotten! Those were among the better ran servers on the list, definately more fun than most, and speaking for myself, I had a blast playing on them. Much love and respect for hanging in there for so long!
...This has been a recording.
Green Manalishi
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Green Manalishi »

i have just checked the website, for the last time, in order to remember some of the great maps hosted by norang over the past 8 years.. columns and rivers, twin peaks, bridges, camelot, legoland, island hopping, mystic valley, hive, desktop, home sweet home, churchyard, channel crossing, all by louman, the ultimate map making genius (& one of the nicest guys to have been involved in the game), plus some others like fox burrow by ^nightmare^, whammo's world by whammo, rain'n frogs by landshark (the incredible fairy tale map), inferno's various maps, grape of wrath's mad city, aribeth's giza plateau...too many memories of fun times. thank you very much thumper and joevano. norang will be badly missed and indeed will never be forgotten.
ahs3
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ahs3 »

Thank you for the many great years of fun norang, you will be missed.
strayer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by strayer »

Well, as players already said - norang will be missed but thank you very much for all the resources you put into bzfs hosting!

I did some quick (and hopefully correct) statisticts (for the last 7 years only - since 2006-10-27 until 2013-01-01 01:30:01 UTC)
- 149 different servers by name and port (3603 when taking different maps and changed server configurations into account)
- 72040 server online days (=> on average around 28 servers online 24/7)
- 5657 days of time spent by players playing and 5792 days with observer time (=> on average around 2-3 players playing online 24/7)

Thanks a lot!
A pessimist is an optimist with experience... ;o)
kierra
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by kierra »

Sorry to see bzflag.norang go.
Many thanks for your years of hosting and contributing to the fun had by players on your servers. You will be missed!
"Sometimes people try to expose what's wrong with you, because they can't handle what's right about you."
"Measure your words -- they determine the distance of your relationships"
"If serving is beneath you, leadership is beyond ypu."
yosef
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by yosef »

Thank you so much for hosting those maps. I spent countless hours of high school and college years on those maps, especially the ones by louman. His name is tied to a lot of happy memories of having great fun playing bzflag.
--9/12 Taking an extended break from this beloved game to return to RL. Look for me at the starbow's end...
Hollow
Internet Troll
Internet Troll

Post by Hollow »

LouMan's LaserMania R2 was recreated some time ago and can go into action if LouMan approves.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Hollow wrote:LouMan's LaserMania R2 was recreated some time ago and can go into action if LouMan approves.
LaserMania is actually at revision 10.3..

http://forums.bzflag.org/viewtopic.php? ... 946#p72946
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Hollow
Internet Troll
Internet Troll

Post by Hollow »

blast wrote:
Hollow wrote:LouMan's LaserMania R2 was recreated some time ago and can go into action if LouMan approves.
LaserMania is actually at revision 10.3..

http://forums.bzflag.org/viewtopic.php? ... 946#p72946
I'm sorry if I don't understand your post.
For something to be re-created from the original maker does not necessarily have to be the latest version.

R2 was really known and played on, I insist on what I said.
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Hollow wrote: I'm sorry if I don't understand your post.
For something to be re-created from the original maker does not necessarily have to be the latest version.

R2 was really known and played on, I insist on what I said.
Yes, you did not understand the post.

At norang, we were using 10.3 (and probably higher) at least.... that is the one that everyone played on. We went through all the revisions for a reason. LouMan corrected tons of problems with that map.
LouMan wrote:Please feel free to host the map, but remember that it is in beta test right now, so there will probably be a few revisions.
What do you mean by "re-create"? Did you build the map from scratch? If so, then I wouldn't call it LaserMania...
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
plokijuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by plokijuy »

Wow. Pretty sad to see it go. It had a good run and I had some great times there. Norang certainly won't be forgotten.