Y11's with modded bzflag connecting to our server at school

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
sjpage
Private
Private

Y11's with modded bzflag connecting to our server at school

Post by sjpage » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:19 pm

Hi,

I don’t know if anyone can help here , I have BZflag set up on our network for the kids at school at Christmas I use a modded version so as all they have to do is double click the icon and it logs them in using there logon ID straight in to the game

However some of the year 11’s have started bringing in a modded version on their USB pens and are connecting to our server and playing with their modded version

I have been kicking them off as soon as I see them but it’s not always that easy
Is there any way I can password protect the server , so as those using our version connect with a password sent from via a command line switch ?

any help appreciated

thanks
Stef

JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Re: Y11's with modded bzflag connecting to our server at sch

Post by JeffM » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:06 pm

Our authentication is user based not sever based, so each client would have to connect with a global login username and ID, then you could basically ban any user that was not authenticated. This isn't exactly what you want, but it's all we have. There would be nothing to prevent a modded client from using the same connection string.

Really the simplest thing to do would be to mod the client and server network protocol. You can change the protocol number to something non standard then the server would only show up for your clients. Another option would be to change the in game protocol to something that normal client can't use (Such as sending a special message or packet).

All of this only works based on the fact that the students can't get the info they would need to apply the same mods to their binaries.
ImageJeffM