Monthly events?

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Monthly events?

Post by Zehra »

Hi all,

I've been thinking how there's many maps players have enjoyed through the years and remain mostly unused or inactive.
My thoughts are on starting a monthly event which players can attend and visit a several servers which have some of the best maps, but tend to receive few players as they tend to require quite a few players to be enjoyable.

This wouldn't be a scheduled fm or something, but just an open monthly event for players to join.
The maps I'm mostly thinking of would be Missile War series, Castle Ruins CTF, Island Hopping, Choke Point Alpha. (Basically maps like these.)

Please give your thoughts and opinions on this.

-Zehra
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
Gort
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Monthly events?

Post by Gort »

I think this would be a good idea. I've been playing BZFlag for nearly ten years and remember some old maps (well, relatively old) that were akin to works of art. Sure, maybe that doesn't necessarily make them good to play on per se, but I also wonder about them and the work put into them and feel a little sadness at the many cobwebs that they've gained over the years of inactivity. I prefer non-flag maps like Pillbox, Duc and Hix, but occasionally I like to just relax on flag maps (Urban being one of them). It'd be fun to play on Mystic, that Lego one, that one set in space (round space station map), and other such maps.

Maybe there could be a poll set up with map suggestions each month, where the top two maps each month get played on (30 mins each map).
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Monthly events?

Post by Zehra »

It's basically what I'm hoping to see made.
I'm not sure which days are best for players and would like to hear thoughts on this.
Probably I could use global groups as a way of trying to keep track of people likely to show up for events and send out notices and things. (still not sure of this though.) (thoughts?)
Since this would be an open event, I'm really hoping to see 40+ players on one server once everything is ready :D
So basically what I'm trying to see now is what days are best for players and times and afterwords schedule an event. (Will post out notices and things when it happens :wink: )

-Zehra
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread