Colorblind Player

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
elytron
Private
Private

Colorblind Player

Post by elytron »

I have a hard time playing sometimes, because I am semi colorblind. Red and green look the same, blue and purple are almost the same, to my eyes. Mostly play as rouge, so everyone is a target. I can tell the difference between blue/purple and red/green. I don't want to shoot my team members. Is there some kind of color blind setting, or some solution that I am missing.
blast
General
General

Re: Colorblind Player

Post by blast »

There are two things you are able to adjust. One is the colors of each team with an RGB color setting, and the second is the textures. I'd recommend running a recent version of the game because the RGB color functionality was improved recently. I'll include the names and default values of the color variables below.

These control the color of the tank (maybe only when textures are off?) and the tint of the shots out the window (which is applied to the colored textures?)
roguecolor: "1 1 0"
redcolor: "1 0 0"
greencolor: "0 1 0"
bluecolor: "0.1 0.2 1"
purplecolor: "1 0 1"
observercolor: "1 1 1"
rabbitcolor: "0.8 0.8 0.8"
huntercolor: "1 0.5 0"

This controls the color of the tanks and shots on the radar as well as the colors in the chat box.
rogueradar: "1 1 0"
redradar: "1 0.15 0.15"
greenradar: "0.2 0.9 0.2"
blueradar: "0.08 0.25 1"
purpleradar: "1 0.4 1"
observerradar: "1 1 1"
rabbitradar: "1 1 1"
hunterradar: "1 0.5 0"

To change any of those settings, join a game and do /localset redradar "1 1 1" or similar, with the three numbers being a 0 to 1 range and controlling the Red, Green, and Blue color channels respectively.

You can also alter the textures of the game itself with an image editor.

Eventually, it would be nice to have preset colorblindness modes added to the game that tweak the colors/textures based on a specific type of colorblindness.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

elytron
Private
Private

Post by elytron »

Thank you for the reply, I will try and figure this all out soon. When I have further questions, will return here.

Am on an older version of the game at the moment, I forget which version. One packaged for Linux Mint/Ubuntu.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Just checked. Version 2.4.4 was the release that added the enhanced control of colors. Versions older than that still have those variables, but they don't affect the colors in the chat and I think they had less effect on the shots out the 3D view.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)