Wiki being phased out

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
trpted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Wiki being phased out

Post by trpted »

Please feel free to split this post to a new topic, as need be.
blast wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 4:19 pm The wiki is being phased out
#1 Why is that happening?

#2 Where will the info that is in the Wiki go, so people can lookup the info that they want to lookup AND OR help others without using these boards?

For example if I wanted to know how to get the source code and compile it, I can just look it up without posting anything OR using the search function of this forum OR just browsing the forums and looking manually for that info.

#3 Where does it say that on the Wiki OR on these forums besides your post of yours?

Thank you
blast
General
General

Re: Wiki being phased out

Post by blast »

Official documentation is being written and placed on the main bzflag.org site.

https://www.bzflag.org/documentation/

Source repository for the bzflag.org site:
https://github.com/bzflag-dev/bzflag.org
The _documentation directory there will contain the files used to generate the documentation on the site. The 'user' subdirectory contains documentation for end-users, such as players and server admins/cops. The 'developer' subdirectory will contain things like bzfs API documentation. There will be similar subfolders for other sections. As for your example about compiling, we already include instructions for how to compile the code with the code (via the various platform specific README files), so that doesn't need to be posted on a wiki or site.

As for why I want to phase the wiki out, it's because it's just unnecessary maintenance with both software updates to the wiki and having a lot of duplicated information that needs updating.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

trpted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by trpted »

As to why that is good reason.

Please do not forgot anything in the Wiki, into the readme file(s) or into documentation.

Also how does one compile using plug-ins, as another example not in readme file(s) or into documentation - yet.

Thank you
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

It is good to see official documentation coming out, but some content from the Wiki should be retained for historical purposes.
Examples: Project History and Releases.
This wouldn't be in the documentation, but would be nice if a history section would be created to preserve and archive it.

-Zehra
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Zehra, the vast majority of the information on the Releases section is just copy/paste from the ChangeLog. The 2.4.0 release is probably the only one that had any useful additional information.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)