Spam mail

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
t3t4
Private
Private

Spam mail

Post by t3t4 »

I did 2 things different this past month and a half and now I'm getting spammed to death!

1. I joined this site out of necessity just to ask a question and to register a name.

2. I joined this Government site: https://countyfusion4.kofiletech.us/cou ... name=Berks

Since joining both recently I have had a major influx of spam mail. Naturally my attention is focused here on this site. Has anyone else noticed a major increase in spam since joining this site? I could be wrong and I seriously hope that I am, but I went from 5 spam messages per day to 5 or 8 per hour!

Anyone else having the same issue?

Thanks,
t3t4
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Spam mail

Post by Zehra »

I haven't seen any spam issues since I joined BZFlag.

-Zehra
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
kaadmy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by kaadmy »

I haven't seen any spam yet either.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Keep in mind that in the past month, the company that runs your email was also sold to another company (and one that had some customer privacy issues). And your email provider has previously had multiple security breaches (totaling a leak of 1.5 billion accounts), so if you had that address in 2014 it's probably on some public lists now.

I did also see that you have your board preferences set to "allow users to send me email" (which may be a new default with newer releases of phpBB), though I did not see an email listed when I logged in as a regular user. So, maybe there's some permission that isn't enabled on our forums to make that show up. I run the forums, and I don't give out private data like email addresses.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)