So tank johnson and I decided to go as high as possible in hill hide and seek

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
XndrK
Private First Class
Private First Class

So tank johnson and I decided to go as high as possible in hill hide and seek

Post by XndrK »

Things got weird.

Screenshot I (the screenshots are too big and I'm too lazy to shrink them in GIMP or something)

Notice the broken height and direction indicators.

Screenshot II

Eventually everything just kinda bled into everything else (except in the chat and radar boxes, where everything just had a fade tail (or whatever the heck you call it)). I had fired one shot to see if my gun still worked. It apparently did, but the screen did not.

Screenshot III

Note the text up top.

I'm not complaining -- this isn't a glitch report in the sense that I want to have the "problem" "fixed". I think it's kinda funny. But eventually, the server would not let me fly any longer and I plummeted to the ground, which took me about 30 seconds. Apparently, tank johnson has gotten even higher, but I'll let him handle it in the next post.
tankjohnson
Private
Private

Re: So tank johnson and I decided to go as high as possible in hill hide and seek

Post by tankjohnson »

Bruh I went to outer space. check this out. I kept shooting and turning in different ways and heights and it ended up looking like this
Attachments
bzfi0005.png
BZ black hole
(953.41 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by tankjohnson on Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tankjohnson
Private
Private

Re: So tank johnson and I decided to go as high as possible in hill hide and seek

Post by tankjohnson »

I think I found the edge of the BZ universe
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

it has to do with the lazy way BZFlag clears the back buffer (or actually doesn't clear the back buffer). When you go too high, the world skyvolume is smaller than the screen thus doesn't draw over the last frame to "erase" what was there before.

It's a holdover from when 3D accelerators were expensive, slow, and optional. It's trying to minimize the amount of screen pixels that get redrawn every frame because in software rendering that is slow. On modern systems (like the last 15 years) it's fast so BZFlag doesn't have to actually do that, but it's an ancient codebase with few updates so it still does stuff the old way.
ImageJeffM
XndrK
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by XndrK »

Hm. Fascinating.

Also, keep the old code. I have a craptop, and that's probably what's keeping the game playable on my system.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

No, it's the low polygon counts that is making it playable. Even integrated Intel chip sets on craptops can clear a back buffer :).

This is like from the days of Pentium and 486 CPUs.
ImageJeffM
XndrK
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by XndrK »

Also, this kind of glitch is fun to discover. Edge cases are cool.
Kurzman
Private
Private

Post by Kurzman »

They say if you stare into the abyss, it stares back. Can you confirm or deny this, Ary?